Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Found One!

I would rather have clean solid mechanicals/electrics etc, things that actually make the truck go.
    Then your priorities are misplaced. Mechanicals and electrics are very cheap and easy to fix compared with rust. An entire brand new wiring harness is about 300 bucks, a good running used 2.25 motor is $500 to 1000. Both could be installed in a single weekend. You cant do that with a frame or firewall. Corrosion is more time consuming and more expensive to fix properly than mechanical/electrical issues. I would pay 6K for a completely rust free truck with no motor or wiring at all, before I would pay 6 grand for a rotbox. Im giving you the benefit of a lot of land rover experience here. Its up to you to listen.

Quote Originally Posted by leafsprung
    Then your priorities are misplaced. Mechanicals and electrics are very cheap and easy to fix compared with rust. An entire brand new wiring harness is about 300 bucks, a good running used 2.25 motor is $500 to 1000. Both could be installed in a single weekend. You cant do that with a frame or firewall. Corrosion is more time consuming and more expensive to fix properly than mechanical/electrical issues. I would pay 6K for a completely rust free truck with no motor or wiring at all, before I would pay 6 grand for a rotbox. Im giving you the benefit of a lot of land rover experience here. Its up to you to listen.
    This is where I'm probably failing myself by not being thorough in my responses. I hope I said *one* of my top criteria - but if not, then I misspoke...perhaps without thinking, its been a long day

From what I have learned from everyone on this forum in a short time, I would agree that a rust free, solid, straight vehicle is another top priority.

What I wanted to avoid were listings that suggested a good frame but an engine in buckets in someone garage - it may be true that you can drop in a running 2.25 in a weekend...and part of me would love that project... but I have to be realistic and balance both priorities. Something that runs well enough to drive it home (and hopefully around town) and a frame and chassis that won't cause heartache and a distant 3rd, something the neighbors won't try and have towed when I'm not looking ... a tall order at my price point

I am listening and learning - and the last thing I want to do is frustrate my helpers here. So I appreciate the patience.

I have no problem playing hard ball, but right now me under a truck with a hammer and screwdriver solicits more worried looks from owners than it does confidence in myself. Thats why I made the sale contingent on an inspection from a guy I trust.

That said, I'm going to be honest. If he says "hey Nick, you over paid by $500 and theres bondo on the door but its solid and should be a good ride...." well then live and learn but I'll be a happy owner and will look forward to the support when I start trying to change the oil

If he says "run away" - then I've learned another lesson, right?

Its important enough to me, that we are trying to change our schedules to get down there this weekend - the saga will continue and I'm excited to continue to report about it here.

Sorry to be a party pooper, but no inspection is needed, you can tell in the photos its had a significant amount of corrosion. Everything has been or is rusty: doors, tub, frame, firewall. Keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by NickDawson
    something the neighbors won't try and have towed when I'm not looking .
    They will get over it! When i dragged my 72 SIII 88 home my neighbors would walk past my house and asking me "what in the hell is that?" and tell me how bad it made my yard look. After they made that last comment i put it up on blocks and waited to see their reaction when they came strolling by again. I figured they put up with our other two rovers a third couldnt be a problem, i guess i was wrong...
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

I don't disagree with anything anyone has said, but if you look back to what I first stated that I am basing my experience off of looking for a series truck in MY AREA. Where they have become scarce, and are now rarely seen on the roads. Most have likely moved west or to parts yards or somewhere else.

There seems to be an endless turn over of series trucks in the eastern US and also in the west. So with that in mind it is easy to say that there will be another one around the corner. You folks are lucky to have those chances. In my search over the years (12+) in looking off and on for the right truck for me I had the chance to look under most of the ones that came up for sale or that I knew of. There is a reason why I did not have a series truck earlier. I then took my search outside of Alberta and looked to both the east and west coasts for vehicals.

I have only seen two galvanized frames on a series truck in my area, Mine! and a 109 rebuild.

I kid you not most of you will choke at what series trucks go for north of the boarder. The one I mentioned with the patch work frame and a driveline that looked as if it had been dipped in tar, not to mention the paint brush paint job, missing parts, etc etc oh but it did have a pertronix ingition. The seller wanter 6K for it I would not have paid $500.

Vehicals here also have to pass a very rigid inspection especially out of province (not sure what it is like in the US) before being able to register or insure it, everything has to work properly not half assed. So in my case things that make the truck go were more important than a perfect body. It all depends on what is most important to you.

A rust free solid frame and firewall is a given because if one does their homework it is the first thing mentioned always. I am talking about the rest of the vehical
    Last edited by vkjar; 04-29-2009 at 09:57 AM.
    1966 SIIa 88"
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Best thing about working in the northern Canadian bush at -40, very few Black Flies!

Default Trucks

Look further, better trucks are out there...Try this one...rust free in Colorado for $5300 with a tropical top and full soft top sale-yyjue-1110166993@craigslist.org -John in NY

Thanks again for the help and suggestions!

I'm still going to drive down (16 hours round trip, blurg!) and take it to Sean Jones to have inspected. If for nothing else, I need the education. With a few exceptions, the posts that say "there are better ones out there" just don't help me see what wrong with the one I'm looking at. I need the first hand education.

It's missing some interior pieces and the rear spare mount. The rear lights aren't correct. It appears to have had the frame and rear tub patched. I suspect the foot wells have been patched and I'd bet there's a bondo'ed hole next to the accelerator. That said, it's not a bad looking truck and if it's mechanically sound, it should last many years as is. It has about a grand worth of wheels, tires, and seats.

My frame is garbage, much, much worse than that one, but my truck runs well and is safe, so I drive and enjoy it. It really depends on what you want. That truck looks fine to me. It's by no means perfect, but it's respectable and should provide plenty of smiles (until you need to R&R something like the steering relay). If there were a single Series for sale around here, it would be in worse condition and priced higher.

Regardless of want you pay, could you buy it, learn LRs, and then sell it and at least break even? If so, go for it. If you're looking to restore one, keep looking.
    © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

Just became a moot point - current owner has decided not to sell.

I know many of you will think thats a blessing in disguise - and perhaps it was. However, there was a lot to like there and I'm a little disapointed...but the search continues...

I think the point is that it was a rot box that had been superficially fixed up. Like a rat trap house with new paint and carpet. It is indeed far easier to replace an axle and transmission than to replace a floor and bulkhead. Because....... to fix the floor and bulkhead you need to pull almost every other part of the truck.