Thread: Waterprrofing canvas top

Default Waterprrofing canvas top

Can anyone offer advice on how to keep the rain from dripping through a canvas top? Top about a year old, and was completely watertight until I told a friend so two weeks ago. The next rainstoirm the rain came straight through - soaked everything. I have tried Scotchguard and some silicone based thing. Has helped but there are still areas, especially the seams, that are leaking heavy drips (one on my head). In FL and the rain is copious and heavy. Many thanks.

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Default Waterproofing

I had a canvas top for my II-A which started to "wick" under heavy rains. It would seemingly saturate itself and then leak inside.

Assuming that your seams are not ripped or worn out, I recommend the same product as Thompson. I bought a gallon and spread it on the top with a paint brush. It STINKS - do not do this in a garage! I let it sit overnight and the top never leaked after that. It felt a bit stiffer than before, but that was the only chahge.

The stuff works!

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

Some people recommend Thompson's Water seal but I would stick to Canvak- it is specifically made for tents and similar canvas items.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

I use Canvak religously. The hot, dry, dusty desert does wonders on canvas and when it rains is comparable to a New York or any other East coast down pour.