Thread: Wing Stays

Default Wing Stays

My Rover doesn't have wing stays for the front wings and vibration has caused the wings to crack. I got a pair and would appreciate a picture of how they mount. Thanks in advance,
    Jim

Somebody must have these on their Rover. Anybody?
    Jim

Are you talking about the wee bent metal strip that attaches to the inside of the wing on the sill flange just aft of the wheel arch and then somewhere on the chassis? If so I can have a peek when I leave work tonight.

Those are exactly the ones. Thanks very, very much.
    Jim

jim

the forward end mounts via the front-most bolt that holds the wing lower edge to the sill panel. It sits on top of the lower lip of the wing.

the rear-most or aft end mounts to the lower (horizontal) lip of the bulkhead footwell via a 1/4" UNF bolt. The hole for this IIRC is about 3-4 inches in from the doorpost.

If the holes is not there on the footwell, you can just mount the forward end as described and then swing it over until it hits the footwell. Then mark and locate your hole from underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim-ME
    Those are exactly the ones. Thanks very, very much.
    Jim
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

Photo of my right front sill brace. Right side in photo is bottom of footwell, left side is forward-most sill panel at the wheelarch. This is a SIII--I don't know if yours will be different, Jim.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Thanks to all of you. I got it now.
    Jim

sorry jim, i should have snapped a pic of mine. the sill and support are on and the wing is off, it might have been easier to see.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Scott,
    All is good and the stays are on. No more or should I say no further extension of the cracks in my fenders.
    Jim