Thread: How to restore paint

Default How to restore paint

I have a alpine white defender that is new to me. I suspect the paint has never been touched other than just being washed. Is polishing and waxing the best way to restore the lustre? If so, are waxoyl products the way to go, and which ones? Also, the black paint on the roll cage and the bumpers is faded. What can I do to restore the look short of having it repainted? If I have it repainted, any recommendations as to the original black sheen? is it a satin finish? Sorry for so many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by PDX Bolt
    I have a alpine white defender that is new to me. I suspect the paint has never been touched other than just being washed. Is polishing and waxing the best way to restore the lustre? If so, are waxoyl products the way to go, and which ones? Also, the black paint on the roll cage and the bumpers is faded. What can I do to restore the look short of having it repainted? If I have it repainted, any recommendations as to the original black sheen? is it a satin finish? Sorry for so many questions.
    Original ? Is it a Defender 110 or a D90? The roll cage on a 110 was also alpine white, but the 90s had a smaller diameter cage in satin black.
    Any good quality rubbing compound should get the white back to shiney.

Thank you for the reply. Yes, it is the original paint and it is a Defender 90. Most of the cage is covered in rubber, but the non-covered parts are quite faded.

There is a satin black paint in a rattle can at the auto parts stores called Trim Paint. That works well and is pretty durable.