Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Onboard Tools

Default Onboard Tools

I would like to get a little input on what i should put in my onboard tool bag. I will be moving soon and don't know how long i will be without my rolling tool chest. I think a small selection of tools will be a good idea not only for the time i won't have access to the full selection, but also a good thing to carry for roadside repairs . I'm looking to keep it under $200 and able to fit into a 10" tool bag. What sockets, wrenches, etc would make sense? I have a '74 SIII diesel if that helps out.

Well, here are some of the things I carry with me:
    • A screwdriver with changable bits that have phillips, flat, allen, and torx in various sizes (some of the aftermarket stuff I have has these strange bits)
    • Small crescent wrench
    • Channel Locks
    • Needlenose Pliers
    • Electrical Tape
    • Duct Tape
    • JB Weld
    • Zip Ties in different sizes
    • Shop Towels / Rags
    • Nitrile Gloves
    • Electrical test lamp
    • Spare fuses
    • Flashlight
    If all else fails, I have my AAA card in my wallet good for 250 miles of towing!

There really isn't too much on the truck that can't be fixed with these tools. Chances are, if you need something more than these, it's not a roadside repair anyway.
    2005 LR3
    1965 RHD Series IIA currently aka "The hope crusher"

Socket set(all sizes)
    Ratchet
    VISE GRIPS!!!!

.... added to the previous list from navydevildoc
    -Ethan
    1966 2a 88' Pickup
    1966 2a 109' Pickup
    2002 F550 7.3l
    1997 f250 7.3l

Default tools

Big hammers and chisels....and a decent size crowbar
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

Doc has a pretty good list.
    I would add :

Hub nut wrench.
    9/16 wrench and universal socket for drive line removal.
    1 tube of gasket maker
    1 tube of RTV

-Jeff

Default what about

A bottle jack. I needed one of those and didnt have one.
    1968 Land Rover "Park Ranger" camper **SOLD**
    1967 109 **SOLD**
    NADA Dormobile #601 **SOLD**
    1965 IIA 88 2.5NA Diesel
    1963 Mercedes 300se
    1975 Volvo C303
    KJ6AQK

I carry a complete tool set in my truck, including a torque wrench. I should be able rebuild or replace any part of the vehicle that I don't need an engine hoist for, on the trail or in a campsite. I also carry a high lift jack, Series screw jack, a Disco I bottle jack, a 2-1/2 X 2-1/2 foot square sheet of plywood to put under the jacks if needed, a parts cleaning kit and a box of spare fasteners, connectors and assorted goops. Oh and a 5 X7 plastic tarp to lay on and a portable 12V work lamp. I used to carry a single large jack stand on the roof rack but stopped carrying it after converting to 24 spline axles.

I don't carry a lot of spare parts, just some small critical stuff. I have British Pacific's 800 number memorized and know that if it is in stock & UPS delivers to where I'm at parts can come quickly. And yes UPS can usually deliver to a camp ground site just off a paved road.

I carry a complete tool set similar to this when I head out for a long trip. It really is overkill but I've been known to take on some pretty big jobs on the side of the road.

If you are looking for the basics then just make sure you've got 7/16, 1/2, 9/16 as those tend to be the most common sizes. Of course it's always handy to pack along a hammer for those times that you just want one. Make it a sledge.

All of these tools are great and definatly will come in handy... but if all else fails, nothing helps like a local rover owner in the area with extra parts and tools you may not be carrying. I recommend joining the birmabright brotherhood, a list of land rover enthusiasts nationwide you can call upon for assistance when things aren't going your way.

P.S.
    how soon is soon to be Old Lyme CT? there is quite a number of rovers in and around that area. I myself am probably 20 minutes away from that town.
    ------------------------------------------------
    72 SIII 88
    67 SIIA 109
    82 SIII Stage 1 V8
    -- http://www.youtube.com/barnfind88 --

tow bar and cell phone
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)