Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Legalizing a Defender 110

Several years ago now I was contacted by a lawyer in the US to help his client who had an illegal 109. The customs had siezed it from the body shop where it was being preped for paint and put an export or destroy order on it. At the same time another person contacted me for the same assistance.
    I was able to recieve them in Canada and arrange a sale for the owners. They both suffered a financial loss since the market for the vehicles was much less strong in Canada.
    So the answer is yes the laws are enforced so you run the risk of losing the vehicle and $$$

John

Quote Originally Posted by tcwave

Has anyone ever gotten caught shipping a d90 to the US as an "offroad" vehicle, then running it on the road somehow? If so, what was the consequence? Perhaps, this is a uninforceable law, like illegal immigration.
    There have been a few, but Customs are getting wise to these shenanigans - they don't even get out off the bonded store if there's any sort of problem.

The problem with this approach or the VIN swap is that if you do run it on the roads and have an accident you lose your insurance coverage - and emergency hospital care can be veeeerrrrry expensive. If that happens getting caught is likely to be among the least of your worries -any fines or vehicle destruction orders will cost you a lot less than a few nights in a ICU.

Note that the RIs have recently had problems importing 1993 vehicles. DOT now require the trucks be LHD only RHD conversions are not acceptable

- see http://www.landroverexchange.com/for...ges/23951.html

Given all that the in my view the best thing to do is to wait for the few 1983 models to start trickling in, or consider a rebuild of a 109 to 110 spec. Remember that any '83 trucks will have spent 25 years trundling aorund on muddy lanes or winter-salted highways getting less and less maintenance and more and more rust as they were passed down the ownership chain

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Dan_Eccles
    Note that the RIs have recently had problems importing 1993 vehicles. DOT now require the trucks be LHD only RHD conversions are not acceptable
    Is that for vehicles that meet the criteria for US similar modles? Such as an overseas 93 D110 that is modded to meet US standards for that year? It doesnt apply to the 25yr and older vehicles does it?
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Just do not ask Mike at ECR about importing anything but what is strictly legal.
    There are shops in Mass & R.I that do.
    be cautious I got a title consider it luck.

I wouldn't ask him, he seems to be just foine with his restaurations no need to overcharge for an import.....

http://www.copleymotorcars.com/nas_d...3.1vo1297.html
    1967 MGB convertible
    1966 SIIa 88 Softop Perkins Prima Powered
    1964 SIIa 109 Rosenbauer TLF
    1976 1ton Rapier missle Sankey trailer
    1996 BMW 1100 GS

wanted ! 107 wagon / 110 wagon v8 or 300tdi

Default Importing 110s

Right now there's a 110 on ebay that the seller claims is a rebuilt 109:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LANDR...QQcmdZViewItem

Yeah, right. Not a single series component, except maybe the Serial number plate.