Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diesel won't start

Did I read right, was it filled with petrol instead of diesel? If so how long was it run like that?

The 2.5 Naturally Asphyxiated is normally fairly robust, but it's possible the seals in the fuel pump may be damaged.

Default Gas in diesel

Correct,my son filled it with petrol vice diesel and ran it about 5 miles to his apartment. I would guess that its possible the gas destroyed the seals in the injection pump, kinda makes you wonder where else I should be looking? I've contacted a local diesel specialty shop about rebuilding the pump but the only numbers I can find on it are Lucas-CAV, which they can't translate into anything useful (Looks like a whole product line). I might be able to find additional info once its removed, but that doesn't appear to be a trivial task either. Access is limited, I've considered taking off the fender (Wing) to get in there, but I'm wondering if I should try and find somebody to do the whole job as it appears timing the pump afterwords is quite important. Unfortunatly there are no landrover shops in the area able to work on the diesel, hence the diesel speciality shop.
    Geoff

Sorry to hear of your troubles it is not an uncommon occurence. The British rover sites are dotted with similar happenings. However this is not something that you can take liightly. Diesel injector pumps are self lubricating and only have the diesel oil to lubricate all the internal parts. The general consensus is that if you have put gas in a diesel then don't even start it. Get it towed and then drain everything and get all the gas out. Once you have diesel at the input to the pump you might be lucky and get away with it, However if the gas has gone tthrough the pump then it will have removed any lubrication in the pump and so caused damage. Your only solution is to have the pump completely stripped down and rebuilt. This is also the case with water in diesel. It will destroy your pump so make sure your filters are checked regularly and use a diesel treatment at every fill up.
    Good luck andhope all goes well.
    Bill B