Thread: rebuilding auto tranny

Default rebuilding auto tranny

I'll start of by saying that I consider myself mechanically inclined. With that in mind...Is it difficult to rebuild an automatic transmission? any helpful information would be welcome.
    I ask this due to the fact that my 1998 Disco has a really irritating squeek and a vibration while in any of the drive gears but not in neutral or reverse. All noise happens while driving not while parked. I think it's time to rebuild. What do you think? I would like to do the work myself if possible.
    please offer me some helpful advice.

Used units are cheap and plentiful.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

Auto transmission rebuilds are not something the average back yard mechanic should take on.
    Joey
    97 Disco
    10 MCCSm
    Custom Rover Accessories
    Home of the D2 horn buttons

I've never rebuilt one myself, but I've had several people indicate that it's not as difficult as one might expect, use the kit and follow the directions. I've also been told that a cradle to hold it during the rebuild helps immensely, to build one from 2x4's to hold the transmission correctly as you work on it.
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Just a little farther down on the thread list. My rebuild experience.

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4847