Thread: Front axle noise

Exclamation Front axle noise

1985 Land Rover 110 , I Heard a loud noise in H4,sounded like something broke,then a continous clicking noise in my front left axle/ wheel area . while driving around at approx 20mph.i stopped looked at it no visable damage, strangly i took off again, the clicking stopped.... i went home took it apart ,the axle is not broken,the cv joint is good, have anyone ever experienced this ?
    Last edited by outlaw; 07-07-2009 at 10:51 AM. Reason: LEFT OUT H4

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Welcome to the Rovers North forum!

Hopefully others will post in their experiences. I was talking with Mark L and he mentioned that sometimes the CV joint will appear to be fine but, has a hairline crack where the axle goes into the CV. This could be the problem.
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Unhappy Found Problem

Quote Originally Posted by TSR53 View Post
    Welcome to the Rovers North forum!

Hopefully others will post in their experiences. I was talking with Mark L and he mentioned that sometimes the CV joint will appear to be fine but, has a hairline crack where the axle goes into the CV. This could be the problem.
    Thanks for the suggestion ,to check the cv joint, it prompted me to check the differential as well , i found the crown wheel nuts broken off, and a tooth broken on it , bought a complete used one..

Outlaw.