Thread: Tach problem

Default Tach problem

I have a 90 RR that has had some tach problems. I replaced the alternator a few months ago and it was working intermittently, not fully reliable and would jump occasionally but now will not register anything. I am sure that i could test the current coming from the alternator to the tach but what voltage ranges should i expect to see? I am assuming that the tach has failed but would like to test it before i go on the search for a replacement.
    thanks in advance for any help
    CR

Default re: Tach prolem

Our '96 Disco had the same problem. We found that the wire connector at the alternator was loose and slightly corroded. A slight squeeze on the connector to close it up a bit, a spray with carb cleaner and a swipe of the spade in the back of the alternator to clean it up fixed the problem.

Bob
    '96 Disco SE7
    '80 SIII 109
    '75 SIII 88 V8
    '66 SIIA 109 V8
    '6? SIIA 109

check your connections, tachs do go bad ,rarely tho.