Thread: Gear Oil Leak

Default Gear Oil Leak

I just had a very bad experience at a local dealer and would like to pick brains of this forum. Was told that I had a leaking rear axle seal but upon further inspection found that there is a tube and fitting on top of the axle housing behind the backing plate. That is where the oil is coming from. Waiting for Shop repair manual CD, because I am now a DIY Mech. Any ideas why the fitting would be leaking? Thanks in advance, Proud Landy Owner.

Default Oil leak

From the info you have given, sounds like you have a clogged breather tube which can cause a oil leak. Please try clearing out the breather tube. You shouls be all set

what is a breather tube? I have a slow leak too

Default I agree

Quote Originally Posted by steveh View Post
    From the info you have given, sounds like you have a clogged breather tube which can cause a oil leak. Please try clearing out the breather tube. You shouls be all set
    The breather tube is typically located on the top side of the diff with the appropriate fitting and is plastic. A metal tube may be present but that's for the braking system.

As the oil heats during normal use, it expands causing the a buildup of pressure within the case. As the oil cools whist parked, air is the sucked through the tube to maintain the pressure differential [1 atm]. As the above poster presented... should this become clogged, the pressure builds up and finds the path of least resistance. LR typically placed the outlets of the tube high up on the body to combat these issues as well as wading through high water.

Cheers,
    1990 RRC, 3.9L, AUTO "Willow Pond" (Sold)
    1996 D1, 4.0L, AUTO "Lucas"
    1999 RR, 4.0L, AUTO "Belle" (Sold)