Thread: Stump Pulling

Default Stump Pulling

Today I used my 88” to pull out a stump; or rather I attempted to pull out a stump. I haven’t had the opportunity to pull out a stump before, so I am therefore lacking in the correct method. That is the question.

What happened:

The stump was that of a Holley bush. It wasn’t that large, perhaps a foot across (with many small shoots coming out of the center of the stump.

I put a choker chain around the base of the stump (a chain which my father had bought new only two weeks prior); the chain being 3/8” thick and about 3-4’ in length. To this chain, I attached a short (3’) section of nylon rope. I backed right up and hooked up the rope to the Rover. I gave it a good jerk in 1st gear, 4-low. It didn’t like it. The Rover shuddered to a stop. I gave it about 4-5 more good pulls, and stopped when the Super Traxion’s dug several nice 6” deep holes in the yard. I decided that I needed more rope length, as the short piece wasn’t giving me a very good pull length. So I hooked up my 20’ nylon pull strap to the chain. I gave it 4-5 more good pulls. The strap seemed to work nicely as the Rover wasn’t coming to such an abrupt stop as it had with the short rope. After a few more pulls, “BOOM”. I kill the motor and hop out. The chain has broken clean in two, the pull strap is all the way under the Rover out past the front bumper. I consider myself lucky, and investigate the stump. It is very loose and comes out with a few sledgehammer hits.

So was the chain just not big enough? Or should I have used a tree strap (or similar) around the stump?
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

It's never a good idea to use a chain for a snap pull like that. Also chain comes in a number of grades in the same link size and its very hard to tell what the grade is when the chain has been used.
    John

I have always used a 30' nylon jerk strap to pull out stumps. You need the elastic (rubber band) effect so that it is the shock which works not brute strength. I gave up on using any sort of chain for pulling anything years ago.

The chain fit very snug around the base, and I figured my strap would come loose.

Next time I'll use the strap.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Might suggest to go about the holly with a mattocks, before getting too rambunchas with the equipment snatching on it..... It's no telling about stumps....some with conditions will tumble right out, while others appear to have a grasp on the whole northern hemisphere.
    The fresh aroma of a clutch plate has too often reminded me its time to get out the truck or off the tractor and give a bit more personal time to my cellulose advisari.

Dave
    74 109 SIIIsw
    00 SII

Default Pulling Out Stumps

There's a reason that stumps, even those of holly bushes, cling to the ground so effectively in hurricane force winds. Those roots really grow a substantial distance under the soil. You can think you've cut them all but you can also be surprised. Keep searching for roots and cut them all.

A chain is really just a dead pull, and the force is often perpendicular to the direction of the stump and root ball. You want to get the pull on an angle, by pullng underneath a side of the stump rather than just around its base. Also, anything - a strap or kinetic rope - that will give you extra energy through expansion and contraction will help you. That means you'll also need some distance between the Rover and the stump.

Good luck - it's a nasty job.

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com