Thread: I am now a black belt in Defender door adjustment

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default I am now a black belt in Defender door adjustment

After recently replacing the center posts on my 110 and after countless hours of work aligning all four doors I now am a black belt in door shut lines and closure. If anyone needs help getting their doors to close properly give me a shout. I'd be happy to share info and advice.

Been there, done that, got the T shirt. Fun times though. Now I know what my dog feels like trying to catch his tail. I replaced all 4 doors at that time too, and anyone who thinks LR is consistant in their manufacturing is delusional. Nothing lined up to start.
    Last edited by Terrys; 10-14-2009 at 08:49 AM.

You are absolutely right - as always. Quality control - HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! I think the factory procedure is as follows "Drink pint, rummage around in a box of assorted Rover (every vehicle line, not just Land Rover) parts and select whatever comes to hand. Drink pint, have lunch, smoke, drink, get LARGE hammer, repeat.

Ye gods is it crazy. I took the hard way and re-adjusted the rear door WITH the tire on. But by god I now have consistent shut lines on (allmost) all 5 doors and that oh so sweet "click" then they shut - although I'm sure after the first time I go for a ride in the country they will be back to "SLAM" style closure.

Terry - you have to see the bulkhead inner hinge clips (captive nuts) I sourced they are bulletproof! Picture shortly.

What's with the running board in the third picture and the front wheel?

The front wheel looks smaller doesn't it. It must be an optical delusion, because it's the same as all the rest; Nato rims, 255x85R16 Dunlop RVXT

The running boards were on it when I bought it from the salvage yard in Florida. They are 1 1/2" Box steel frames with expanded metal tops, no slipping off them, and very functional. They were obviously made by a professional fabricator. They're welded to the frame and extremely sturdy.
    My son was after me to take them off, but with the HD suspension and 255s, it makes getting in more reasonable and I've never plowed them while off road. In fact, they are so substantially built and hung, they act just like sliders. The truck used to belong to Jason Isringhausen (Tamba Bay pitcher) and was a super truck when I got it, despite the fire damage from engine bay fire.

Default Tub, bulkhead and door alignment black belt rating!

Quote Originally Posted by VTRover View Post
    After recently replacing the center posts on my 110 and after countless hours of work aligning all four doors I now am a black belt in door shut lines and closure. If anyone needs help getting their doors to close properly give me a shout. I'd be happy to share info and advice.
    Hello, I would like to get a black belt in series door alignment please. New chassis installed on a 65 SWB 2a. I’m seeking best technique possible. thanks for your hard work and I appreciate your help. Joe

foxejo@yahoo.com

I thought I was the only one fighting this battle, my NAS D90SW has the drivers door pop open, only partially unlatched actually, that requires me to open the door and pull it shut again...moments before repeating. Sometimes, cracking the sunroof or rear windows helps slow, or stop this. However, in the summer with the A/C on, this is not ideal. If tried moving the B-Pilar latch post in and out and nothing seems to help. I'd love so just earn a brown belt and work towards me black. Only other symptom...my interior door pull is slightly out. Maybe that's it? So the door isn't fully latched to begin with? Taking the door apart this week (which is a pita) to try and work on the pull. Right now, I have to let myself out by rolling down the window, as the pull does nothing, unless it's already loose and I pull it in and pull the latch hard.

I'm the original owner of 431/500

Thanks,

Damon