Thread: Snorkel???

thumb-up Snorkel???

Ok, i am building my own snorkel on my SIII with some black 2 3/4" PVC pipe, a Weber snorkel adapter for my 32/36DGV, and a Defender air cleaner that appears to be set up already for a snorkel (still waiting for it to come in from buying it on ebay). I have a head for the snorkel but it is similar to the type that is found on the ARB snorkels. I live where it rains quit a bit and i am not comfortable with having an air cleaner full of water after a rain, kind of defeats the purpose of having a snorkel.

So, does anyone know where i can score one of those mushroom head type of snorkel topper, the type that you see on the Manatec kits? The only other type i can find besides a replacement for the ARB is one that will work but it looks a bit silly, its about the size of a soup pan, clear, and is supposed to be a "pre-cleaner" this may be my best bet, but i would rather have the mushroom head.

Thanks
    Richard

there are tons of them out there for Ford Tractors- they usually average $10 each.

see this too:
    http://www.muddyoval.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4795
    Last edited by yorker; 02-07-2007 at 08:49 AM.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Default Here you go

Matt Savage in the UK sells the Rover pre-cleaners.

http://www.mattsavage.com/acatalog/R...r_Intakes.html

I think when I got mine a few years ago from him I was only out about 40 bucks, including getting it here from the UK. Also, the people at Matt Savage are very nice and easy to deal with.

Chris

Richard:

You may be too far along, but I know D.A.P. has snorkels for Series Rovers. The part number they sent me was BA2129.

I don't remember if it has the mushroom top or not.

Greg
    greg@uricchio.com

I was browsing and found the genuine Mantec snorkel top at Mattsavage.com if you can not locate one locally.

GregSC

And direct from Mantec for about $200

http://www.mantec.co.uk/index.cfm?pa...etail.cfm&id=2

Default snorkel

Hi Richard. I have been looking at building one. I'm debating materials and filters etc. I would like to see some pictures as you go forward. I bought my snorkel cap from Trevor at Rovah Farm.

www.rovahfarm.com

Pete
    pgrosso@maine.rr.com

I think that is the route i am going too. It should work, i mistakenly measured the OD of the connectors and not the pipes them selves, so the ID that the mushroom head has, 2 1/2, will work.

Right now i have a snorkel coming off of my Weber that i found on the Internet a few years ago, its attached to a K&N right now, but i found a Defender air cleaner that is already set up for fording. I need to find a bit more flexible hose to connect the pipes and such but its almost done. I will post pics as i get it done.

The main problem i am having now is finding a place for the air filter. Its huge compared to the original. I was thinking about relocating the battery to the rear of the truck or under a seat if i drop my aux tank, and taking off the battery/air cleaner mount and strapping it down there.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

How big is the defender airbox you have? I've seen them fitted ok- with some work, I am going to go with an oilbat air filter with an inlet and outlet similar to the series 1 type. When I have the parts together I'll take a picture.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

I made my snorkel for North Africa on my series from the original oil bath (as the filter), an extra carb air elbow, a big truck radiator hose and black PVC from Home-Depot. Oh, and a Donaldson pre-cleaner from ARB on top of the snorkel. The Donaldson was held in place by a rubber pipe adapter also from Home-Depot.

Pics at www.drivetheglobe.com Cheap, and works perfectly...
    Owner: James Leach Global Expedition Services.

1995 110 Regular