Thread: who's done it

Default who's done it

The PO of my truck removed the emergency brake. Everything, drum, linkages etc. I've assembled what I think is everything needed to re-install an e-brake set up. Except for miscellaneous nuts and bolts that I will round up as I go. Anything I need to know about doing this, any special tips or pitfalls? Or is it as easy as the bolt in job it looks like it is? I can make any 2 hour job an all day thing so any pearls of wisdom are appreciated.

Jeff
    1964 Series 2A SW, LHD mostly stock, often runs!

1991 Range Rover Hunter

It is a fairly simple and straightforward operation so long as you have all the proper parts for the linkage, expander, adjustment cam and propshaft fasteners. Nothing tricky about it...
    -Cosmo-
    '66 IIA 88" - Stock-ish Trail Rider

'95 Disco R380 5 spd DD
    ARB winch bull bar
    Warn 8k
    Gulf States Grill
    OME HD 2" lift
    home made limb risers
    LR rack with too many Hellas
    on-and-on-and....

As long as you've got all that stuff removed, consider replacing the output shaft seal and felt.

cosmic- Yeah it looks to be all there. I even have dupes of a couple of parts like the brake lever handle assembly.

pisten- I'll check into this.

Thanks!

1991 Range Rover Hunter

I swapped out the drum for an X-Brake recently and it was very easy. Removing the stuck bolts between the rear diff and drive shaft was the hardest part.

I am curious why someone would remove the brake entirely.

Quote Originally Posted by badvibes View Post
    The PO of my truck removed the emergency brake. Everything, drum, linkages etc. I've assembled what I think is everything needed to re-install an e-brake set up. Except for miscellaneous nuts and bolts that I will round up as I go. Anything I need to know about doing this, any special tips or pitfalls? Or is it as easy as the bolt in job it looks like it is? I can make any 2 hour job an all day thing so any pearls of wisdom are appreciated.

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by ScottT View Post
    I swapped out the drum for an X-Brake recently and it was very easy. Removing the stuck bolts between the rear diff and drive shaft was the hardest part.

I am curious why someone would remove the brake entirely.
    ScottT-

No clue. I bought the truck in '99 from a guy I worked with years before. I had a Heep, still do, and he had the Series. Typical back and forth teasing went on. I even offered to buy it from him for $1000 at that time. Years go by. I run into him one day and say "When are you going to sell me that truck?" He replies "$500 and it's yours, I want it out of my driveway." So I bought it because it was pretty complete, rough but there. Guess he'd had an issue with the brake and rather than fix it he removed it.

1991 Range Rover Hunter

That is interesting. Most issues with the brake are the oil leak, linkage or both. Removing it is just as much work as repairing.
    I can't imagine parking on a hill w/o a tranny brake. . .

Quote Originally Posted by badvibes View Post
    ScottT-

No clue. I bought the truck in '99 from a guy I worked with years before. I had a Heep, still do, and he had the Series. Typical back and forth teasing went on. I even offered to buy it from him for $1000 at that time. Years go by. I run into him one day and say "When are you going to sell me that truck?" He replies "$500 and it's yours, I want it out of my driveway." So I bought it because it was pretty complete, rough but there. Guess he'd had an issue with the brake and rather than fix it he removed it.

Default Disc brake

Doesn't someone make a disc brake parking brake conversion? Maybe they were going that direction
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

I was considering swapping my handbrake for one in the Right hand drive position. It would make a little more room.

Quote Originally Posted by JimCT View Post
    Doesn't someone make a disc brake parking brake conversion? Maybe they were going that direction
    Yeap,

http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-BrakeSeries.asp

That is what I went with.