Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on my Series

Default Update on my Series

It’s been 10 months since I took possession of my first Series, a 1972 88. See my first post here: http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5066.

As expected, the truck was not in as good as shape as I was lead to believe but in the grand scheme of things I think that was a good thing. It’s not really what I’ve done to the truck but more what it’s done to me. I now have a fair amount of knowledge of the various mechanical systems in the truck, as I had to go thru many one of them! More importantly I’ve learned that there is a lot more to repairs than just replacing parts, there is a proper way to loosen stuck bolts, proper way to torque bolts, proper way to apply gaskets and gasket sealer, proper way to organize your work area and the disassembled parts, I can go on but you get the idea. My truck taught me organization, patience and “step back, have a beer and/or cigar and think the problem thru”!
    Here is a list of what I can recall I’ve done: Replace all fuel lines (and routed them correctly to eliminate my vapor lock), add in-line fuel filter, replace heater control valve, replace alternator, replace battery, remove and clean starter (several times, and now I learned how to get it out w/o removing the manifold), rebuild Rochester carb, replace fuel pump, tune up (points, plugs, rotor, cap and condenser) replace distributor after determining that the vacuum advance failed, upgrade to 16”wheels and new radial mud tires, add wing mirrors, remove breakfast and radiator to inspect timing chain (checking for jumped time, negative), replace water pump, replace headlight buckets and upgrade headlights, replace fuel sending unit, flush all fluids, replace brake shoes, replace 2 wheel cylinders and master cylinder, fab an arm coming off the carb to install idle return spring, install u-joint on front drive shaft, adjust valves, adjust timing, and the biggie….replace the head gasket and lash the valves…whew!
    I know this pales with what many of you have done but I feel it’s a good start for a guy who hasn’t turned a wrench most of his life, and I’m sure the truck will offer me many more opportunities in the future. It’s been fun!
    Here are some pics my wife snapped of my latest job.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/home

Sorry for the long post but the truck is running sooo good now I'm more that a little excited and wanted to share. Yes, I know I just invoked the wrath of the Rover Gods but who cares, I can fix it!

Im inspired! great work!

fix that picasa link, id like to see some pictures!
    Will
    '74 109 2.6 RHD

Try this link
    http://picasaweb.google.com/bobmohan...eat=directlink

Again, I've learned something new!

alright, how about this??
    http://picasaweb.google.com/bobmohan...eat=directlink
    Last edited by bmohan55; 08-28-2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: added another link

Nada Bob. Unless I am completely useless. That second link doesn't work.
    1970 88 IIA

Quote Originally Posted by bmohan55 View Post

Works for me....
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Yup. Works for me now too. Thanks
    1970 88 IIA

Default Works for me too....

I like to stand in the engine bay and lift the head up and off. Then again, you peeled the front off and made some room to work in there.

Nice! Keep up the pics.

Jeff
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks

Default I love the smell of 90W in the morning

bmohan55,

Right on Brother! Sounds like you learned something else too. The joys of Rover ownership. Not to mention the satisfaction of figuring out what's wrong and knowin you have the ability to fix it. Always puts a smile on my face when I get something fixed.

Good work!

Cheers and Happy Rovering!
    Walker
    1968 Series IIA-"Ronnie"
    88" SW, 2.25L Petrol, LHD

Great work Bob and even better news to hear that your truck is running like a champ. I too find great satisfaction in learning, and often times the greater the frustration equals even greater satisfaction...and RELIEF when problems are conquered.

Wooooo Hoooooo! Now let's go for a drive!
    1966 IIa - ex-MOD, ex-FFR, ex-24v
    1997 Discovery SE7 - I'm empty inside without her