Thread: hub seal race (distance piece) over sized?

Default hub seal race (distance piece) over sized?

First we took the old hub seal race (distance piece) off with a chisel as suggested in the green bible. Next we put the new one on without effort (it just slipped on). could my 1960 series II have a different sized spindle?

Please advise.
    Mat

I've had this happen with a new distance piece too. I think it has to do with the liberal manufacturing tolerances that these trucks have. To make mine work I took a prick punch and made 4 small prick marks, equally spaced on the spindle where the distance piece will sit. Upset the spindle surface just enough so the distance piece doesn't spin on the spindle. Seal the distance piece with some RTV so the 90 wt doesn't leak past and press the distance piece on. The next time I replaced the distance piece on this spindle the new one was tight so who knows...
    Jason T.

Default Likewise

I had the same problem with my '66 2a 88". On one side the race required some muscle and patience to install, on the other it slid right on. It turned out that the spindle was worn. I noticed that the spindle has very small ribs on from the manufacturing process but on the loose one the ribs were either worn down or smoothed by a PO. I ended up installing two races that failed before I got a good used spindle for around $15. It was ribbed (for her pleasure) just like the other side. I installed the race with Locktite 518 and It worked like a charm. Like the previous response stated the tolerences of some items on our trucks are loose but look for signs of wear. If the spindle is worn out it will be tough to get a good seal unless you get an exceptionally tight race.
    Good Luck

i ordered 4 more races from Rovers North today. I am hopping that Atlantic British parts where just over sized and RN will fight like they should. otherwise i will have some made to fit my rover. thanks everyone

JasonT's method has been used for years and is quite satisfactory.

John

would recommend the ome from rovers north, after market races stink..