Thread: Defender - shipping, buying

Default Defender - shipping, buying

Hi,
    We are in Argentina (South America) living temporarily but have a home in Guatemala (Central America) also. We want to buy a Defender 2008 or 2009 model 110. Does anybody have any first-hand experience shipping one to Central or South America from Europe?
    John

I do as my nephew did this recently. He took his 2008 110 into Argentina. As a temporary resident, he was able to take his 110 there for 8 months; and then, able to renew this for an additional 8 months. This was the maximum he was permitted to take his temporary export into the US (he was over there from the UK).

At that point, he had to export the vehicle out of Argentina, which he did. If he had wanted to keep the vehicle in Argentina (I don't know if this was subject to becoming a permanent resident there....he was engaged to a girl from there) he would have had to pay duties of 78.2% on the CIF value of the vehicle.

To do this though, you need to have a temporary residence visa of at least one year, and also, provide a bank guarantee to customs and excise.

A close friend lives in Guatemala and there are different rules and taxes according to the class of vehicle, however, for a 4x4 SUV, you will have to pay 28.8% tax. There are several fees on top of this, but not too much.

I hope that info helps (and I hope it is accurate too!)
    Last edited by DuckDoc; 07-23-2010 at 06:04 PM.

Hi John,

Just wondering if you chose to ship a Defender to Central or South America after all?

All the best,
    Joseph
    1993 NAS 110 300tdi conversion
    1985 90 300 tdi (from Italy)
    1985 90 prototype
    1983 S3 88" Safari SW