Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: spark plugs

thumb-up spark plugs

See, this is what happens when you are confined to your home for 30 days on convalescent leave recovering from rotator cuff surgery. you come up with lots of time and questions to bother the good people at the RN Forum with.

Ok, special spark plugs: E3, split fire, etc. is anyone running them in their series rigs and if so what, if any, improvements have you seen? I have used them in my jeeps before and saw a good improvement but never in my landy.

Thanks
    Richard

They probably are a waste of $. Splitfires used to erode quicker than other plugs. You are probably better off with a good set of Champions or ACs or Autolites.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

FWIW a good friend is the service manager at at large Chevrolet dealership. When I asked him about split-fire plugs specifically he told me that the majority of ignition problems that the shop runs into on Chevy engines are a result of people using "high performance plugs". He told me that when they pitch them and install the plugs recommended by the manufacturer the problems go away. As we all know Rover engines are not supposed to be high performance engines. His reply tells me that "high performance plugs"=junk.

Default Spark Plugs

I have to admit I've never used anything more than the correct Bosch platinum plugs. They do seem to last a long time. New plugs have made the car run more smoothly, but never more powerfully. It's still a 1950's engine design, made for longevity and low end torque, nothing more.

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

Default BP5ES

I have a Pertronix ignitor in a relatively new dizzy on my MOD engine. I have tested a good number of plugs, but have found that my truck prefers the NGK BP5ES to any other plug. YMMV

A plug thread, I can't resist.

Splitfires are crap. It is old tech that was tried in the 50's (or 60's) and didn't work then either.

Bosch platinums - crap also - sorry guys. Electrode contact point is too small. Can lead to fouling in some older engines. Only run these plugs in engines that were designed for them. (+2 and +4 designs are Ok, but Beru was first.)

Beru - Now this is a spark plug. Specifically the Ultra-X. The problem that most plugs have is that they shield the spark from the fuel mixture. This can be overcome with a well designed combustion chamber that has good swirl. However, most don't. The solution is a plug that puts the spark it direct contact with the mixture. This means that the plug should fire against the side of the electrode and not the top of it. Check these plugs out.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Plug Ranking

1. Beru
    2. Denso
    3. NGK
    4. Bosch (+2 & +4)
    5. Champion
    8. Splitfire

Somewhere between the Beru's and Denso's are TorqueMaster plugs. But I have only run these in motorcycles. They are a side-fire variation.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Default sparky-sparky

I have settled on good old Champion RN11YC. They are working fine and even get me started at -20c. I make short trips and they haven't fouled up on me yet this winter. Worked well in the summer heat last year. Chep to replace on a regular basis too.

Jon M.

Default Beru Spark Plugs

"Beru - Now this is a spark plug. Specifically the Ultra-X."

Where do you get them here in the USA? Which part no. fo the 2.25L? What's the average cost?
    Thanks,
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by gudjeon
    I have settled on good old Champion RN11YC. They are working fine and even get me started at -20c. I make short trips and they haven't fouled up on me yet this winter. Worked well in the summer heat last year. Chep to replace on a regular basis too.

Jon M.
    Yes, I agree whole heartedly. Cheap low tech and ideal for the low tech point type ignition. Change them often and they'll be the best of any.

John