Thread: Radio Removal

Default Radio Removal

Anyone know the trick to removing Disco 1 radio? It is the one with the two small holes on either side. Dealer claimed a 3\32 allen wrench would do it. It did not. Workshop manual shows a "special tool" to be inserted along the left & right perimeter of the radio - there is no slot for such a tool. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

you have to put something in all 4 holes at the same time to remove. Almost any Radio installation shop should have the tool, or use several allen wrenches.
    Joey
    97 Disco
    10 MCCSm
    Custom Rover Accessories
    Home of the D2 horn buttons

Default Disco 1 Radio Removal

Actually, no. It takes an allen wrench one size smaller than 3\32 inserted into the 2 small holes (one on each side of the radio fascia). Turn both counterclockwise till won't turn any more and then pull radio out and disconnect harness. That's it. It works, I did it.
    chow.

Default radio removal

I have done this as well, very easy using the allen keys, the radio will loosen as you turn the key.
    It comes out very easily.
    Mark

Actually, the special tool that the manual speaks of is a five sided allen key. You can buy them on line for a couple of dollars and they make radio removal for DI's and later RRC's a breeze. Yes, you can use the typical six sided key to remove the radio but it is a little trickier. I did it for years before breaking down and getting the right key.
    paulgrant@mac.com
    203-770-1699