Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2.5 n/a diesel

Default Got Pictures?

Cool, a 109 with a 2.5 NAD, what year? Got any photos? I always liked the series II in particular. I had a 62 88" with safari and soft top but a 2.25 petrol. Wonderful vehicle, but I'm do love diesels. I can bet that its hard to start up north, it's hard enough here in TX where cold means 35 deg f. Must have been cool to do the engine transplant, I thought about pulling the engine to do the injection pump. I really wanted to "Clean up" the engine compartment, plus I could justify buying an engine hoist and stand...., but the cost of special tools and the pump rebuild put that off. I'm a little concerned about the engine mounts, the rubber on the front looks old, but I really want to get it back on the road as it's finally cool enough here to be tolerable in traffic. I'll definately buy a bucket of lock-tite when putting things back on as that crankshaft pully comming of could be real expensive! I'll be glad I have that wrench when I torque that crankshaft back on.
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffWillis View Post
    Cool, a 109 with a 2.5 NAD, what year? Got any photos?
    It's a '73 Series III RHD 109. Here's some photos from the Series forum here on the RN board:

And finally...a shot of the 2.5 in its current state, mid-rebuild:

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Default Beautiful Truck

I think your truck is awesome, are you using the Series III transmission or did you swap it out also? I'm quite pleased with the overall condition of my Rover, the only thing I think will need attention in the near future are the door sills. Its a good solid truck, no rust anywhere on the frame and until the unfortunate gasoline incident it ran like a top. I found a shop to rebuild the pump, they won't even give me an estimate till I drop it off, sounds expensive! It will have to wait till after the new year as we're off to visit family in West Virginia. Happy holidays all.
    Geoff

Yeah, I'm using the original Series III transmission--No problem, since the 2.5 is rated at less horsepower thant the 2.25 Petrol and the 2.6, 6-cylinder that was originally fitted.

Interesting to know that Gasoline (or more likely the alcohol in today's gasoline) would have that sort of an effect on the injector pump.

If I were you, I'd be pleased with the overall condition of your truck too! I don't think I've ever seen an ex-MoD rover look as good as yours! It looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. I'll be candid and admit that I aspire to own a Rover just like you have and, in fact, I covet yours .
    --Mark

I would be more suspect of the ultra-low sulpher diesel as the culprit in leaky injector pump seals. I began having hard starting issues and loss of prime (air in) issues a few months ago on my '87 300TD merc (Non of my land rovers are oil burners) and found all the instruction (and confidence) from Russell at Dieselgiant.com. Read his comments on his website regarding seal detioration when using ULow S Diesel.
    I rebuilt my MB (6 cyl) pump last week for $18.00 in parts, and $33.00 for a special socket. The car starts, and runs like new now, and no loss-of-prime issues.

That's a tough call...I've been driving for the last 6 years on whatever is spewing out of the local diesel pumps in California and New Hampshire, presumably ULS diesel in both places. I haven't experienced the almost instantaneious failure that Geoff experienced after a single instance of gasoline contamination.

I wish they'd put a biodiesel pump within convenient driving distance of my house. Adding some biodiesel does wonders for the lubricating properties (or lack thereof) of ULS diesel.
    --Mark

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    Yeah, I'm using the original Series III transmission--No problem, since the 2.5 is rated at less horsepower thant the 2.25 Petrol and the 2.6, 6-cylinder that was originally fitted.

Interesting to know that Gasoline (or more likely the alcohol in today's gasoline) would have that sort of an effect on the injector pump.

If I were you, I'd be pleased with the overall condition of your truck too! I don't think I've ever seen an ex-MoD rover look as good as yours! It looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. I'll be candid and admit that I aspire to own a Rover just like you have and, in fact, I covet yours .
    Thanks for the kind words, I do love my Rover, it was quite a find and until the gasoline screw up it needed absolutely nothing. I found a shop to give me an estimate on rebuilding the pump, I hope to be able to swing by Friday and let them check it out. Maybe I'll get real lucky and the pump will be fine and I'll find it was a leaky fuel line (Don't think this is the case but one can only hope). I certainly know much more about my vehicle than I did this summer! I'd owned a few diesels in the past (VW Jetta's), but never worked on them, so it's been quite fun to get my hands dirty on this. This forum has been a tremendous resource for me, thanks to all who helped, and I'll let you know what I find out and how it goes back together.

I'd be surprised if the gasoline caused the pump failure and would suspect it to be coincidental.
    I run about 10% gasoline in B10 this time of year to prevent gelling and up in the really cold parts of the world they will run an even higher blend. I've actually been burning up 10 gallons of surplus 2stroke mix from this summers motorcycling in all my diesel trucks 2.5n/a 300tdi (2) and a 7.3 powerstroke. Never had any issues with filters freezing etc.

sorry to chip in then disapear but I'm off (tonight) to the tropics for a few weeks. Good luck with all the rebuilds guys.
    Matt Browne
    www.overlandengineering.com
    "resurecting junk through engineering"

there is a fellow named Dave Lucas selling a 70k original mile 2.5 natural diesel on the D90 Source board. His engine may be cheaper than an injection pump rebuild

I've been using Opti-Lube XPD year round in my 2.5 NAD at 1/2 oz/g. My pump has also started to leak but the engine still runs great. I've found a brand new OEM pump in England for less than $600 which is about half of a Lucas recon from the same place plus I won't have a core charge to deal with. RDS has a brand new pump for 1275.00 which is not too bad all said and done.
    Jim