Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: prepping and re-painting a hard top

D/A?

Quote Originally Posted by NickDawson View Post
    D/A?
    Dual Action(as in orbital sander) and 180 grit sandpaper-any coarser and you will see scratches through your paint.
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

Awesome idea! Got a plethora of sanders (I am not for want of power tools after remodeling my house) - I'll start with some 180 and go lighter from there.

Thanks for asking Nick, I was too embarrassed to. Last time I asked what some initials were the answer was some internet slang my 11 year old knew.

What a great suggestion. The tub on my SIIa looks like the PO took an angle grinder to it. Realized his mistake (or ran out of steam real fast) and stopped.
    1982 SIII 109 RHD petrol project.

Nick,

I feel obligated to mention that you should wear a respirator or face mask at the least. Lungs full of old paint and aluminum dust is'nt cool.

Brucejohn,
    next time ask. I propably should have exlained anyway.
    Travis
    '66 IIa 88

Quote Originally Posted by NickDawson View Post
    Awesome idea! Got a plethora of sanders (I am not for want of power tools after remodeling my house) - I'll start with some 180 and go lighter from there.

All you will need is 180 and primer. You should not need to go any finer on the paper, especially if using an epoxy primer, sealer or an etch primer w/high build primer on top(you should use 1 of the 3).

Quote Originally Posted by brucejohn View Post
    Thanks for asking Nick, I was too embarrassed to. Last time I asked what some initials were the answer was some internet slang my 11 year old knew.
    Internet jargon and acronyms aren't my stong point either. Never be afraid to ask. Anyone who pokes fun at someone asking a question is just a fool!

Quote Originally Posted by Bertha View Post
    Internet jargon and acronyms aren't my stong point either. Never be afraid to ask. Anyone who pokes fun at someone asking a question is just a fool!
    To be clear no one here has poked fun at me. I allowed my own insecurity to inhibit my question. Everyone here has been great to a noob like myself. This is the best forum I have participated in for information and welcoming newbies/inexperienced mechanics.

That is a tribute to everyone here.
    1982 SIII 109 RHD petrol project.

Quote Originally Posted by brucejohn View Post
    To be clear no one here has poked fun at me. I allowed my own insecurity to inhibit my question. Everyone here has been great to a noob like myself. This is the best forum I have participated in for information and welcoming newbies/inexperienced mechanics.

That is a tribute to everyone here.
    X2!!!!
    couldn't have said it better! My truck wouldn't be in the parking lot here at work w/o this board.

Going to try my hand at a few rattle cans of self etching primer tonight. The interior of the hard top is about as rough as the exterior. Should it treat it exactly the same?