Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: K&N air cleaner vs original oil bath?

Default K&N air cleaner vs original oil bath?

The original oil bath air cleaner seems to be doing the job, but the hose connecting to the elbow looks like its in bad shape. Replacing this hose will cost me $25 + shipping. I can get a K&N from the local autoparts store for not much more than that.

Anyone have experience with these K&N's on a 2.25L petrol?

ALSO... the metal ring that sits on top of my Weber won't really secure itself in any manner. There is a rubber extenstion between this ring, and the elbow to the air cleaner and all that looks okay, but its not really snug on the top of the carb at all. its just sort of sitting there. I can't see a way to tighten it down. Any trick to this?

Thanks in advance.

My dad and my brother are both using K&N's on their 69 and 67 respectively.. They are pretty good, but really loud. If you are going to be in some really dusty conditions for a long time, I'd stick with the Oil Bath. But that is just my opinion.
    1956 86" S1
    1957 88" S1
    1967 109" SIIA NADA
    2007 LR3

I just used this product from mcmaster carr supply co. to replace the hose on my 2 litre. youd need 2 feet of it to do the hose on the 2.25

55125K93

Is larger inside diameter but snugged up well with hose clamps. Very tough hose

Default I've had a K&N for 5 years or so.

IMO it breathes a little easier than the oil bath. Also, it's nice to not have all that stuff in the engine bay. Easier to get at other stuff.

I've read that the oil bath is better if you do a lot of dusty driving.

Default oil bath

I think the k and n is a good choice for on road only. Its not very good at filtering dust. So, either switch back to the oil bath any time you are in a convoy in the dust or get the pre filter for the k and n and put it on (with oil on it) before going off road.
    1968 Land Rover "Park Ranger" camper **SOLD**
    1967 109 **SOLD**
    NADA Dormobile #601 **SOLD**
    1965 IIA 88 2.5NA Diesel
    1963 Mercedes 300se
    1975 Volvo C303
    KJ6AQK

Thanks for the info guys. I will probably stick with the oil bath for now, but if the hose falls apart, then I'll have to decide how to fix it or change to a K&N.

I don't have the dust worries that I had in Colorado, now that I am in South Carolina, but... I know that we had a K&N on the Rally car we raced all over Colorado, and it did okay, but definitely had to be recharged daily when it had been in the dust.

My '73 88" would hit the wall at ~65mph with the oil bath and the mpg was pretty poor. I changed to a K&N (with flange mount) and now I can easily do 75mph and fuel economy has improved. This is probably due to not having to hold the accelerator to the floor to maintain highway speed. It's still pulling at 75mph, but seeing as how I know what's going on inside the engine, I don't dare spin it any faster.

I had a similar problem with my carb (Holley) and the flange mount K&N proved to solve the problem.
    © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

I'll piggyback on this thread if ya'll don't mind.

How are you guys mounting your K&N's? I'm running a Rochester so it sits pretty high already. Are you altering/shortening the metal elbow and sticking the cone type of K&N on the of this?
    1966 IIa - ex-MOD, ex-FFR, ex-24v
    1997 Discovery SE7 - I'm empty inside without her

Mine is a pancake filter that mounts right to the top of the carb. You can go the the K&N site and spec diameter, height, and mount you want, then take the part number to Advance or buy online. I think my filter is 2" high and 8" across. I measured the inlet diameter on my carb and picked the filter with the flange that matched. I then took the p/n to Advance and ordered it. It drop shipped to my door from K&N.
    © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

Apis,

With that pankcake filter... do you still have a breather connection? Also, the top of the carb is pretty small.. does K&N make a neck down adapter for this or did you have to cook something up yourself?

Also, I don't think I've gotten my Series III over 55mph yet. Hahaha. I am too chicken something's going to fly off at higher speeds. After I get the engine working the way it should, its nice to know I can at least not get smashed on the interstate though.