Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: K&N air cleaner vs original oil bath?

Default restrictions

each 90 degree elbow is about the equivalent of 6' of hose, the the corrugated hose does not help either, the inner wall should me smooth.
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

I find the K&N work really well for the paved road. If I am in dusty conditions offroad I run an oiled UNI foam filter over the K&N (http://www.unifilter.com/online%20ca...universal.html bottom of the page). I keep it in a bag pre-oiled and ready to go.

I am thinking about getting another foam filter to use dry over the K&N.

Jared
    Visit The Wandering Hippo (my 109 S2A Ambulance).

Quote Originally Posted by JimCT View Post
    each 90 degree elbow is about the equivalent of 6' of hose, the the corrugated hose does not help either, the inner wall should me smooth.
    At least the factory hose is helically corrugated, which is better than a standard corrugated pipe. The factory 90 degree elbow is the real killer because it is such a tight radius. That's why I used a long radius elbow to connect to the filter in my set-up.

If the 6' hose equivalency thing is true, no one told my rover about it. I had to make a system to cope with the reduced clearance of the 2.25 in a ser1. I thought I would have to refine it, but it works well so I am leaving it alone. 24mpg (imp) at 60 mph on the highway. Can't be too bad.

I doubt the hose is the reason, rather it's the custom plenum you added. Plenums can be extremely effective at making for better airflow due to the reduction of turbulance and pulses that occur in the breathing cycle. As I said, it's not just about cfm ( volume). There are more factors at work and an improvement in any single one can yield better performance at certain rpms at the expense of others. That's why cylinder had porting is so involved. If it were a matter of just smoothing things out and making them bigger almost anyone could do it. It's a science of flowing the heads and determining what works with specific components and at various engine speeds. Same is true for the lowly Series air cleaner.
    94 D-90 tdi
    72 Series III

Quote Originally Posted by Nium View Post
    I'm going to use JB Weld between the metal ring and the carb throat.
    That's exactly what I did three years ago, and everything is holding up perfectly.

Just be sure to use the nastiest solvents you have to clean the mating surfaces. If everything is kleen the JBWeld will do the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by badvibes View Post
    Certainly you're running an overdrive also for that kind of top end speed?

Jeff
    Yes, a Fairey.

Here's the K&N fitted.

David Vizard did flow comparisons of various filtering systems and found that a K&N out flowed a standard paper element filter and this was after the K&N was removed from a vehicle that had completed the Baja 1000. I'd say a properly oiled K&N provides sufficient filter in most applications, but if you routinely drive through clouds of fine silt, the oil bath is probably better. Of course, if you're driving on a silty dirt road, the ability to do 75mph is probably not important.
    © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

Errrm, thanks kevkon. That what I was going for when I designed it.

Ever wonder why a K&N breathe so well, hold them up to the light.

Quote Originally Posted by gudjeon View Post

Ever wonder why a K&N breathe so well, hold them up to the light.
    Well, they do keep stones and small mammals out.
    94 D-90 tdi
    72 Series III