Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Series II with 2006 Vortec Engine & Tranny in It

Default Series II with 2006 Vortec Engine & Tranny in It

Check this thing out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1962-...item27ad277296

Some one ask the seller if she/he will give us the computer codes so that we can install a vortec engine in ours in the future.

This 1962 109 Land Rover was built up with many expensive modern conveniences but at the same time was intended to look very stock and original. It has an original 18,000 miles on the body. It is very straight and has no rust. It also has 26,000 miles on the 4.8 Vortec V8 from a 2006 Chevy Tahoe. These engines are very economical dispite being 285 HP. They are computer controlled. It also has the right AL60E Automatic gearbox attached to the engine which is 4 speed plus overdrive and so at speed is very low revving. The transfer case is the Orion HD From Advance Adaptors. The width of the Transfer case allows gearbox sump clearance for the front drive shaft. The rear axle has two HD 24 spline axles about 1.5 inches thick in a Tru-Track limited slip differential. The front axle is stock gearing with free-wheeling hubs. The wheels are new Land Rover 16 inch Wolf British Military wheels with new tires on all four positions and 3 spares, one of which is on the hood. The vehicle also has power steering from a 1998 Range Rover P38 which makes the steering finger light and maneuvering is effortless. It has the original steering wheel and a very original looking dash dispite a few extra engine guages and an automatic Lokar shifter on the custom transmission tunnel. It also has a Jaguar V12 Air Conditioning and heating system under the right fender which is very effective. The engine runs very cool. The computer has retained the safe-mode overheat shutdown to protect itself when many of the other functions were removed so that it would run this engine in this body. Cosmetically the whole Land Rover was painted inside and out in classic Land Rover Bronze Green. The doors and hood were all off it at the time of painting and all the windows were removed. After painting, the windows were replaced with all new sliding rails and all the door openings were fitted with new seals all around. The glass is in excellent condition all around also. The interior of all the five doors have deluxe upholstery on them with storage pockets on the two front doors. The seats, three in the front and a bench of three in the back are also all reupholstered to match. The headliner was so good that it stayed where it was and is original. This has the Safari double skinned roof with the four air vents in it There is also a full length galvanized roof rack with a rear ladder up the side of the door for roof access once it is fitted. The fuse-box is in the middle seat-box and the battery is under the drivers seat. Overall a very original looking classic Land Rover that is now 47 years old. It looks it's age, but is a wolf in sheep's clothing because with the new drive-train, it will cruise with modern traffic, tow a 20 ft boat, run uphill at 80 MPH in the fast lane overtaking traffic and most amazingly of all, do 22 MPG. It is an excellent vehicle. It is in Northern California where it is registered and 100% road legal. The Price is sensibly around $45,000. This is less that it costs to build one of these. The good basic 109 is $15,000 before you start. A good 1993 NAS 110 is $50,000 and there are 500 of them. There is only one if these. It is unique. Call me with questions on 530 306 4648 or e-mail on mark@skywagons.com for more pictures or more details.

I've seen this done to Landcruisers before, but this is the first Land Rover I've heard of.

Quote Originally Posted by LC_rover View Post
    I've seen this done to Landcruisers before, but this is the first Land Rover I've heard of.
    This is almost certainly a Timm Cooper conversion. Timm has a modified Vortex V8 from a Cadillac Escalade in his current Land Rover Series I hot rod. He claims about 600 HP. Timm is another person who lives in a different reality from most people.

The computers on the Vortec engines have various things that need to be disabled, and there are a lot of people offering this reprogramming service. Certain scanners also give you the ability to do these things, and cost a couple hundred.

Typically you need to tell the computer to turn off various fuel tank sensors, disable the VATS system (the anti-theft system) and give it an idea of what axle ratio/tire size you are running.

wonder how the rad fan is set-up?

electric fan or engine driven?

Jaime
    One Life Live It

Default The Vortec powered 109 on Ebay

Hi. I am the owner f this 62 109 with the Vortec in it. Thanks for the compliments about it. It is an amazing truck now with 285 HP and power steering. AC from a Jag and a real heater etc etc. It is an engine driven fan and the computer was modified by Sinister Performance after I gave them all the ratios and tire sizes etc. All the tranny work, to make it up to Corvette spec was done by a friend who is a tranny expert here at Placerville. The engine was installed by another friend who is an electrical wizard for the miriad of fuses, computers and running wires. Timm Cooper was responsible for modifying the chassis to accept the new drivetrain, but the project as taken away from him and given to other people who actually do what they say they are going to do and do it in the time they say they would do it. It was painted while dismantled and al the annoying little things were dealt with during reassembly. I did all the windows, seats and trim, glass and carpet, door seals and dash. etc etc. It is looks like a Series II in every way, but runs, drives and behaves like a 2006 Chevy Tahoe, which is what it is under the skin. By the way, Sinister Performance charges $85 to re-map the computer. Once done, over 50% of the wiring harness can be removed.

So did you keep the hand crank in it?

Default Hand Crank

Erm,
    No hand crank!!! It was because the hole did not line up!!!

I suppose all those mods are way cool and its a great vehicle to drive...but the thought of being in a very high speed collision in a Series sends chills up my spine.

Can you post pics of the power steering setup?
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums