Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: warm up

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    we have no cell phone while driving laws here now, there's talk of law that says no texting while driving, do we have to add no picture taking too!
    Sir the vehicle is obviously a British made Land Rover and as everyone knows those crazy people drive on the wrong side of the road because they sit and drive in the wrong seat in the vehicle. So I must have been the passenger in that seat taking the pictures, yeah that's the ticket.....

.....and Morgan Fairchild is my wife.
    1964 Series 2A SW, LHD mostly stock, often runs!

1991 Range Rover Hunter

This is the reason I've been planning on getting/did get my rover:
    http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&...d+stuck&m=text

This blizzard hit last year and nothing could move - the big 13 ton city busses were getting stuck on the roads. Naturally, I needed to be somewhere. So pulled out my one wheel drive Chrysler Crossfire and didn't go anywhere.

I started looking for a Jeep/light SUV and then ended up with probably the best/worst choice for winter driving: an ungalvanized LR! Wahoo!

PS those are random pictures of the blizzard, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by badvibes View Post
    This is a preview of what's headed your way Easteners. It may be no big deal for you guys but I'm a desert dweller, Albuquerque drivers are crazy as it is, put them on a sheet of ice and the potential is unlimited.....

Jeff
    I WISH that was what was headed this way! Looks like you're TWICE as lucky--You had very mild winter weather AND you don't have an inch of rock salt all over the roads! Lucky dog...
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by SafeAirOne View Post
    I WISH that was what was headed this way! Looks like you're TWICE as lucky--You had very mild winter weather AND you don't have an inch of rock salt all over the roads! Lucky dog...
    even with all the snakes out here it's worth it given that we don't salt our winter roads and humidity is low. we usually just wait 'till noon here as that's when the passive solar snow removal kicks in. mild winters (except in the elevations over 7500') and no rust makes new mex a great place to own an old truck
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

thumb-up

Quote Originally Posted by badvibes View Post
    First I know that New Mexico cold is nothing like Maine cold, but I'm a wimp. My truck runs like an absolute pig until it warms up well. The manual choke will keep it running but it misses, backfires and just runs very rough until well warmed up. I'm wondering about some type of add on engine heater, block type, inline on a raditor hose, whatever. Anybody use one, what type, and what do you like about it or dislike about it? I'd appreciate some feedback from experience to help me decide what I'd like to try. Thanks.

Jeff

here you go:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vinta...Q5fAccessories

http://www.endtimesreport.com/Auto_M...tructions.html
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

yorker-

Nice! The answer to the problem and maybe others too. I was reading the instructions and noticed the parts about the "asbestos sheet" and "asbestos strips" stapled into a circular wick. Enough asbestos exposure and I'll be able to quit worrying which is going to last longer, me or my Rover.

Jeff
    1964 Series 2A SW, LHD mostly stock, often runs!

1991 Range Rover Hunter

a bud told me when he was living in chicago he had to light his coleman two burner stove and slide it under his jeep for a couple hours on more than one occasion to thaw it to the point it would start. i grew up just south of cleveland and don't miss hav'n winter forced on me. here if i want it i drive about an hour and when i'm done with it i drive home
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

ha! just don't inhale the asbestos.

I remember stories from a WWII veteran who was sent to Russia to build/service US Lend Lease trucks- he had all sorts of interesting tales but one of them was about lighting fires under engines to jeep them warm. also they'd drain the oil from the engines at night and take them inside and put the pails on stoves to keep it warm.

fun fun fun...
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

In Norway they had defenders with swingfire water jacket mounts on the bumpers. The swingfire heaters could be moved from rover to rover to heat the coolant and move on.

After you heated the engine you could heat the cab up.

Jared
    Visit The Wandering Hippo (my 109 S2A Ambulance).

Once started my Rover with a big cast iron pan with charcoal in it. Let the flames die down and then slide it underneath the engine, let it sit for about 10 minutes and it started right up.

In WWII I think that the Soviets would also pour gas down the crankcase of fighters to thin out the oil. As the engine warmed the gas evaporated. They also wouldn't grease their guns in the winter.
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2