Thread: key wouldn't come out of ignition on my D1

Default key wouldn't come out of ignition on my D1

Thought I'd post this problem and what the resolution was.

My 99 D1 had never had any problems associated with battery draining, ignition key issues etc so this was a surprise.

I let my D1 to my daughter for a few days while I was away. During that period, she drove to her university parking lot and left the car. On her return, she shoved the key in the ignition and nothing happened.

To boot, the key would't come out. So what happened, all was good. Well with a little investigative work, this is what I found out and how it was resolved.

I'll say right at the beginning that there was nothing actually wrong with the Discovery.

I guess it starts with the following,

I checked the car and yes key would not come out. I would turn but no engine turn over.

I checked to see if it was in park, again all appeared fine.

I boosted the battery and again no response from engine.

I was somewhat taken aback, not sure what to make of this.

I then noticed on the dash, that the heater fan knob had fallen off. I looked for it but all I could find was a couple of small pieces of plastic on and around the center console.

I got thinking but no real ideas came to mind but as I was looking around for the other pieces I noticed that the transmission lever was not actually at the end of its travel, not really in park by about 5 mm. I then shoved the stick closer to end and a splash of plastic parts hit me in the face.

Ok now I know where the knob landed. But I still couldnt get the key out of the ignition.

Using this forum I found out how to remove the key, a solenoid in the ignition key assembly would not release the key unless it was in park.

The Discovery was left out of park by my daughter over night influence by the pieces of plastic stuck in the gear shift channel.

The solenoid was still charged and thus drained the battary. I removed fuse # 12. This de energized the key solenoid and I removed the key.

I then boosted the truck, being in park it started right up. I drove it home and left # 12 fuse out of the Discovery. Until I could make sure that all was well with the key ignition assembly. It was.

I then replaced fuse # 12 and found that after a few days all is still normal.

I originally thought that it could have been the shifter sensor that needed reseting but given that the Discovery started up after the boost, I really dont think it had to do with any of the problem.

Really got to understand the ignition sequence of my discover to figure out what had happened. I had done a lot of ready before going to rescue the Discovery so I was doing a lot of thinking about the sequence as I was working thru each symptom.

Hope this helps others.

Mark

Default little lube

i had something similar happen luckly my key did come out..a little 3-1 oil or any light oil on the key once in awhile will help with this

Bill

Porter maine