Thread: my disco window

Default my disco window

well after bragging i've never had a problem with my 96 disco.i used my drivers side window ..it went thru some sort of cycle and came down and is still down..i've heard the tracks can fail..i have started to remove the panel.and am wondering about the door handle and door lock..do i reach up inside to unhook these?..i do not wanna damage anything..any help would be most welcome

Bill
    Porter maine

The most common problem with the front window regulators on DI's from mid-year '95 through '99 involves the cheaper nylon rollers that fit within the rails allowing the windows their up and down movement. Typically, they break, separating the outer ring of the roller from the center that is riveted in place to the arm of the regulator.

There should be a detailed description of a fix using nylon washers posted in the tech section of discoweb.org.

To remove the door card, first remove the large grab handle held in place with two 10mm bolts and then remove the door handle bezel held in place by a philips screw. Now, either use a pry bar to pop the door card off the door or get the special tool available at any parts store for just this purpose. There are about a dozen plugs that need to be popped out to enable removal of the door card. After you've removed the door card lift it upwards and away to free it from the lock. Disconnect the speaker and you are good to go.

To remove the regulator you have to first remove the two 8 mm bolts that secure the arms to the rail at the very bottom of the glass window. With the regulator arms free of the glass, remove the 6 other 8 mm bolts, two on the lower rail and four in the motor assembly. With those bolts out you will be able to remove the regulator. Don't forget to unplug the motor before you try to pul the assembly out of the door. Once you have the regulator assembly out you will see the damaged nylon roller.

Good luck,
    Paul
    paulgrant@mac.com
    203-770-1699

Default thanks

k..gotcha and thanks..little chilly for a wide open window here in maine..although i've been know to run my series with no doors in january

Bill
    Porter maine