Thread: Series Rover Bolts

Default Series Rover Bolts

I've got my Series IIA all apart now and when I go to put it all back together I'm going to be in the market for about 90% of the bolts that I pulled out of it. I was just wondering if anybody here knows or could provide a list of the most common bolts, I mean thread pitch and type, and the size. may as well stock up before hand so I'm not always looking to find the one right sized bolt. Also where do you guys get your bolts from, we've got a few places around that only sell hardware such as bolts and nuts but I thought these were all some real strange thread.

If you have all the original fasteners you could always have them cleaned and replated. That would be a lot easier than sourcing all the British fasteners.

There's this website, too.

http://britishfasteners.com

Colin

What Colin said, or get yourself a bunch (one hundred or so each) of 1/4-28 x 3/4 & 1/4-28 x 1 bolts with nuts, washers, lockers to match...........I keep both 316 stainless and grade 8 in stock. www.boltdepot.com has served me very well.
    I just went through the cleaning and re-plating of all the original hardware for a Series 2........time consuming to say the least, but if you know you have most of the original hardware in the truck it may be worth preserving. Bass Plating in CT did my plating.
    Name:  BOLTS.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  117.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by CMorris View Post
    What Colin said, or get yourself a bunch (one hundred or so each) of 1/4-28 x 3/4 & 1/4-28 x 1 bolts with nuts, washers, lockers to match...........I keep both 316 stainless and grade 8 in stock. www.boltdepot.com has served me very well.
    I just went through the cleaning and re-plating of all the original hardware for a Series 2........time consuming to say the least, but if you know you have most of the original hardware in the truck it may be worth preserving. Bass Plating in CT did my plating.
    Been following your restoration - freakin awesome.

What kind of black paint are you using for the small parts?
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpydog View Post
    Been following your restoration - freakin awesome.

What kind of black paint are you using for the small parts?
    Thanks very much. The black is a PPG single stage chassis black, durable stuff and won't break the budget, so we can spray it on nice and thick. I pay about $160 per gallon, with reducer and hardener included. And as usual, all of these parts (most of which take a lot of abuse)get primed first with SEM Self Etch and a self leveling epoxy primer over that.

Quote Originally Posted by CMorris View Post
    Thanks very much. The black is a PPG single stage chassis black, durable stuff and won't break the budget, so we can spray it on nice and thick. I pay about $160 per gallon, with reducer and hardener included. And as usual, all of these parts (most of which take a lot of abuse)get primed first with SEM Self Etch and a self leveling epoxy primer over that.
    Helpful! I've been trying to find a go-to black that I can use to hit the long list of parts that get stripped and resprayed black when you pull'em and refurb'em. I've been using a self etching primer and trying different rattle can satin blacks to various results. Some don't hold up well to petroleum-based products and others seem to chip if you breath on the paint the wrong way. Than you for sharing!
    1968 Series IIa
    1997 Defender SW (Original Owner - Sold)