Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Land Rovers waiting to be rescued - the hunt is on - post photos

Quote Originally Posted by stonefox View Post
    Mongoswede, that's cool, how'd you do it?

I clicked on your thumbnail, then when the photo came up I right clicked on the photo and "viewed in new window". This opens a new window with only the picture. I then copied the internet address from the address bar and when I replied to your message I clicked on the icon on the reply tool bar that is 5 spots over from the red "tube" button...the icon is yellow with what looks like some mountains and a sun on it. Clicking this icon will bring up a text box where you paste the internet location of your photo. When you click ok you should see your photo in the reply box. When you post your reply you should see it on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by stonefox View Post
    I was able to rescue this old girl, 71'IIa SWB from the cluches of mother nature. Frame no longer exsists ,but some great spares ie. Overdrive, axles, body panels. I'm in the process now of swapping the diffs to my 63' SWB runner.
    Going today to check out a treasue trove of six ,yes I said six Landys, lying around waiting to be resued.I know he has 2 109'' and 4 88'' ,don't know the shape they're in or even how much he wants. Sounds like he just wants out. I'll keep you all posted .
    I presume the '71 IIA you're talking about is the green one in front (as it looks nearly identical in paint to my '70 IIA), and your 1963 runner is the beige one bringing up the rear.

Nice '63 truck! Mine is pretty much set up like that, with 16 inch wheels and no rocker panels and all.

I don't know why Rover insisted on importing the Series vehicles only with 15 inch wheels. Always made no sense to me. The good 16 inch wheels were standard EVERYWHERE else in the world, 'cept the dumb 15" wheels standard in the USA. Must have been a reason for it, but dang if I can ascertain.

I think back then, Rover had a misconstrued notion of what U.S. customers wanted in their Land Rover. Probably thought they would just be parking lot cruisers and thus wouldn't need good 16 inch wheels anyway. Hey...come to think of it, I don't think things have changed very much with Rover marketing regarding the U.S. market!

BTW: Besides what you say about the frame, the body on that 71 looks pretty tight and dent-free!! How's the firewall?

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonian1976 View Post
    those other images look awesome - can you post links to them? I can't seem to click them
    Try this.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/stonefox...CKTDgbHanNjrEQ#

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan RoverIIA View Post
    I presume the '71 IIA you're talking about is the green one in front (as it looks nearly identical in paint to my '70 IIA), and your 1963 runner is the beige one bringing up the rear.

Nice '63 truck! Mine is pretty much set up like that, with 16 inch wheels and no rocker panels and all.

I don't know why Rover insisted on importing the Series vehicles only with 15 inch wheels. Always made no sense to me. The good 16 inch wheels were standard EVERYWHERE else in the world, 'cept the dumb 15" wheels standard in the USA. Must have been a reason for it, but dang if I can ascertain.

I think back then, Rover had a misconstrued notion of what U.S. customers wanted in their Land Rover. Probably thought they would just be parking lot cruisers and thus wouldn't need good 16 inch wheels anyway. Hey...come to think of it, I don't think things have changed very much with Rover marketing regarding the U.S. market!

BTW: Besides what you say about the frame, the body on that 71 looks pretty tight and dent-free!! How's the firewall?
    Actually the body is pretty good and straight. Unfortunetly the frame, door post, and firewall are toast.It must have been nice back in 90' when it was parked were I found it. http://picasaweb.google.com/stonefox...CKTDgbHanNjrEQ#
    Who could of left such an awesome ride just rotting away. That's just Rover Abuse, punishable by castration as far as I'm concerned.

Put up some pics of your truck!

Great shots! How did you even know it was there?
    94 D-90 tdi
    72 Series III

Heard about it from a friend who years ago remember it was there before it was taken over by the briar bush. We searched numerous piles of briars before actually finding it. There were no wheels on it either .Upon searching some of the old out buildings we found they baried in some rubish in a corner .
    By the way ,any of you rivet counters out there looking for a set of 15" wheels for your restoration project, I would gladly swap for a set of 16''.You better act fast because a deal like that won't last long ,my loss is your gain.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan RoverIIA View Post

15" wheels were available elsewhere as an option from at least 1960 or so. Back in the '60s and '70s 15" tires became more or less the norm in the USA for 1/2 ton vehicles. I remember when it was hard to get 16" tires in 28-29" dia, in the load range appropriate for an 88". Heck even in the 1980's it was common for 235-75 15s or the flotation option of 31-10.50 on 1/2 ton trucks here but good luck finding a 6 ply 16" tire in a similar diameter. The trend to larger rims here only took off when they started having bigger and bigger disc brakes and they needed the room. There is nothing wrong with 15" rims then or now, they were an original fitment and work fine.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

I thought these were worth sharing.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/stonefox...ingToBeRescued#

Are those trucks around Hudson valley, NY?
    94 D-90 tdi
    72 Series III

Yes ,you know them.