Page 11 of 229 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111 ... LastLast

Thread: What did you do to your Rover today?

Quote Originally Posted by 73series88 View Post
    thanks
    i couldn't have done it without everyones help
    crossing my fingers for the dmv.
    aaron
    Make sure you get the antique plates, Aaron. Our state has a wonderful property tax reduction for antique plates vs. standard.

Default i need to change this to "what did you do this month..."

none of my jobs, no matter how simple seem to get done in a day. last saturday i removed the tow plate and the pintle hook i had mounted on it last august. when doing that job i noticed a bit of rust in the xmbr behind the plate.

so back to saturday, i cut out the rust and ended with softball size hole in both the front & rear surfaces of the xmber. fab some reinforcement pieces using 2' angle iron, 1/4" plate and a skin for the outer surface of the rear xmbr. was planning on weld'n it all on but not enough time.

last night welded in the reinforcement pieces insid the xmber and drilled the 1/4" plate for the under the truck side of the and drilled the skin for the outside of the xmbr and bolted them on and decided welding these on will have to wait for another saturday.

so it looks like the repair of my rear xmbr is going to take at least 3 days with some week long rest periods in between.
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    last night welded in the reinforcement pieces insid the xmber and drilled the 1/4" plate for the under the truck side of the and drilled the skin for the outside of the xmbr and bolted them on and decided welding these on will have to wait for another saturday.
    Just a couple of pics to show the bad stuff cut out and what the finished repair will look like. I just stood around and watched.

1964 Series 2A SW, LHD mostly stock, often runs!

1991 Range Rover Hunter

I added a dual accessory (cigarette lighter) and reinstalled my vent seals. I thought I was going to turn the little guy over and fire it up after a year and a half…but nothing. I hope it’s not the coils.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

hey
    i stripped the black paint off of the front bumper
    looks alot better.
    aaron
    Last edited by 73series88; 11-22-2010 at 06:32 PM.

I adjusted the brakes on the QE I and found that the pedal travel is fine, but the brakes probably need new shoes all around. Tomorrow morning I load it up with straps and rope for the Maine Winter Romp.

I fired up the QM I for the first time in a few months. I took off the coil wire to clean up the corrosion inside the coil tip, and then hit the starter button without turning on the ignition. Once I saw some oil pressure, I tried to start the car. It took a shot of dry gas down the carb to get it running, but immediately, it smoothed right out. A tip of the cap to the original Solex carb.

I finished installing a new master cylinder by bench bleeding it, but there was a lot of air in the sytem. The brake bleeder screws are really corroded in place, so this is going to take a while.

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

Talking

Have some company coming down this weekend and planning to do some light wheeling so all I did was put my MAR sticker on the back window and top off the fluids. Afraid if I do anythng else she'll be down for a month.
    04 Disco, Gone-Disco died & so did mine
    '72 S3 88 - Leakey & Squeaky

Striped the white paint off of the windscreen frame.
    gonna put some new seals top and bottom.
    wouldnt you know the dmv was closed on friday for the holiday.
    Oh well I'll try on tuesday.
    aaron
    Last edited by 73series88; 11-22-2010 at 06:31 PM.

Took some of the remaining African dirt off of the interior bits of the dash and cleaned up the top of the bulkhead for POR15 treatment on monday.

Lots of red Ugandan dust all over my garage.....
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

Well, after checking the vacuum and compression yesterday my 11 year old helper and I adjusted the fuel mixture and idle and regapped the spark plugs. She is running great, it is amazing how a couple of little items make such a big impact.

Today I added better exhaust brackets from our hosts and tried finding alignment marks on the driveline, no joy there. So, I started trying different orientations for the driveline, three down, 13 more to try. (beats a 90 minute drive to the nearest driveline shop).

Any day working on the rover is a good day. =)
    1982 SIII 109 RHD petrol project.