Thread: Cold Galvanizing compounds

Default Cold Galvanizing compounds

Has anyone had any luck with any of the "cold" galvanizing spays? I am considering recoating the bumper and trip pieces on the SIII, and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for this task. I tested the spray can that rustoleum sells, but it doesn't seem to be a great match. Let me know what you think...

hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmm, ain't gonna look like the real thing, ,you can buy a new front bumper from the hosts ,cheap..
    www.singingcamel.com

That stuff isn't even close- it does work good as a rust inhibitor. I have some bolts that I sprayed with it as a quick fix and they have been rust free for 10 years now. It really isn't a good replacement for real galvanizing though- it doesn't even look close. Some people use Hammerite paint to touch up galvy... I don't like it but you might.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

I have used one type of spray that does look pretty close. Can't remember the name off the top of my head, but I think I have a can left at the house. Of course nothing is perfect, but it seemed to do a great job.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

During my restoration, I tried several cold galvanizing sprays. As others have noted, they do not look correct. I actually ended up using Hammerite silver/gray paint the first time around, putting it on in very thin coats to avoid the 'hammered' look. It looked good and was very, very durable.

The second time around, I had everything hot dipped galvanized. Nothing beats the real thing.