Thread: 1995 disco goes into reverse and drive ETc. but does not move!! HELP

Default 1995 disco goes into reverse and drive ETc. but does not move!! HELP

My 1995 disco which has sat quite a while due to engine rebuild has really got me puzzled. At same time during engine rebuild I replaced rotors and brake pads. Now when I am ready to get the disco out of garage I crank the engine and shift it in to reverse or drive the vehicle does nothing. It is not shifting into gear nor is it moving. My four wheel drive gear shift goes left or right but does not move up. PLEASE HELP!!

Transfer case stuck in neutral?

the shift linkage for your tcase could have frozen up, especially since you say it wont go up.

Should be an easy fix, if thats all it is. Just get under the truck find the linkage on the tcase and spray away with wd40 or something similar. Wait a bit and then try to shift it. Make sure you are doing it according to the manual. I have a manual transmission on my D1 and i dont know the sequence for an auto.
    First but gone: 91 3 door Disco "White Rhino"
    77 Series III 88 ex MoD "Shongololo"
    Gone and I miss her: 97 D1 5 speed
    04 DII
    08 D3 (LR3)

was your engine rebuilt in the truck, or was it taken out? Many people have damaged the pump in the transmission by not reinstalling the torque converter correctly. You can take the engine out with torque converter attached to the flexplate, but never put back in that way. There is a key drive on the back of the torque converter that must be aligned with the pump first, then, once thee engine is back in, then just bolt the torque converter back to the flex plate.

Default disco 1 not moveing when in gear

thanks for the response. my four wheel drive will not shift into high or low. It is stuck in neautral which makes me think this is reason why rover will not move when in drive or reverse. i am going to try lubricant this weekend or take center console out. There is a plate with rivets that gives you access to linkage on top of transfer case! do not think it is pump at this time. Thanks