Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carb. to EFI conversion, 1983 3500cc V8

Question Carb. to EFI conversion, 1983 3500cc V8

Has anyone done a carb to EFI conversion on a 1983-5 rover 3500cc V8 engine in a rover 110? What needs to be replaced? How difficult?

Or....

What would be a better Carb. replacement for the twin solex carbs on it now? I live at 8000 ft. in colorado and want as much power as possible. Also, a carb that is easy to adjust.

Thanks.

Default The Wedge Shop

There's a place called The Wedge Shop in MA that specializes in performance parts for the Triumph TR8, which has a factory-fitted Rover 3500cc(same as in your 110). They offer carburetor conversion kits.

http://www.thewedgeshopstore.com/
    Mike Koch

1993 Range Rover SWB
    "Backup car? Why would I need a backup car? My car backs up just fine."

There are several carbs that will work that I have used but the EFI works much better off road.
    EFI is not too difficult. You need to install
    1.a high pressure fuel pump ( I use the early Rangr Rover /110 rear tank pump be it in a side or rear tank) with a return line to the tank.
    2. the top end (intake etc) off a Range Rover or early Disco motor (the 3.9 bits are fine).
    3. the complete fuel injection harness as well as the ECU. You may need to alter the fuel map (tune resistor) to run without cats ....or run cats.
    4. A Range Rover air filter can be adapted.
    You will need to tap into the coolant system for the intake manifold and adapt your heater lines to fit.
    The wiring of the EFI harness is not terribly complicated. 4 wires will run it.
    I have a ton of photos and will post some from the shop......nothing on this computer.
    Matt Browne
    www.overlandengineering.com
    "resurecting junk through engineering"

The intake manifold from a Buick 215 will fit, in 2V or 4V, but finding one in good condition can be a problem. Offenhauser and Edelbrock both made aftermarket 4V intake manifolds, with the Edelbrock being easier to find. These manifolds are made for a Holley flange 4V carb, with the Holley 390cfm 4V the recommended carb for the Rover V8. The Edelbrock intake will need a plug in a threaded hole in one intake port, and the temp sender threads are the same as the Rover sender.

I run the Edelbrock 4V intake with a generic application Holley 600cfm 4V carb on 3.9 Rover V8s in two Series Rovers. The SIIA 109 with R380 5 speed and 3.54 Range Rover axles gets 17 mpg on the highway.

If you want to run a 2V carb, adapters are available to fit between the intake and carb. Holley makes 300 cfm and 500 cfm 2V carbs that could be used.

My local NAPA type auto parts store supplied a Buick 215 thermostat outlet, but I ended up making the water outlet for the heater hose on the rear of the manifold out of 3/8 aluminum plate threaded for a hose fitting. There should be a small constant water bleed line to the radiator from the back end of the intake manifold to prevent a hot spot in the intake.

Bob
    '96 Disco SE7
    '80 SIII 109
    '75 SIII 88 V8
    '68 SIIA 109 V8

I think there is a Webber that fits the Edelbrock? Seem to remember one of the manifolds in the pile at the shop had a Webber on it.

Slight hijack....what are you using for a transmission with the SWB V8?
    Matt Browne

Edelbrock supplies their own 4V carb that will fit the Holley flange. I'm sure a Weber 2V can be adapted to the manifold via an adapter. I use a Holley carb since I have always used them on V8 applications and have a number of old carbs available for parts and tuning.

I use a Holley carb with the available electric choke, which uses one wire to the choke pot. One concern with the generic Holley 2V and 4V is fuel bowl vent leakage at extreme angles. Most Holley carbs have the fuel bown float pivoting on one side of the fuel bowl. This can be an issue when off roading and can lead to fuel starvation or carb flooding if the truck is leaning too farto one side, but I haven't had a problem. Holley makes a considerably more expensive 4V carb designed for extreme angles that has the fuel bowl vent lines plumbed to each other, and you can convert to center pivot floats with the fuel bowls tied together.

I use the stock SIII trans behind the 3.9 V8 in my 88. It has been trouble free, but the torque of the V8 can cause issues.....

I am interested in your wiring information for the 3.9 fuel injection / ECU, in case I ever want to run the EFI.

Bob

Bob runs a 3.9 on his carb. I have a 3.5 and I put the Edlebrock carb on my truck. I used the EDELBROCK PERFORMER SERIES 500 CFM Part# 1403

I would recommend the 390 from Holley because my carb is just too much for the little 215 V8. I have had to jet and needle it down a lot. I bet it would settle in nicely if I have the 3.9 instead of the 3.5.

Still, even running too rich, the truck has a lot more oomph that it did with the side drafts.

I am running at sea level. I never gave much thought to how I would tune if I lived in Denver.
    Firemanshort
    1980 Stage One
    (Past owner of 1973 Series III - Highlander)

RPI recommends the Edelbrock 500 (they call it a Weber) as the carb of choice for the Rover V8. I've had both the Holley 390 and Edelbrock 500 on my truck (with 3.5L) and also prefer the Edelbrock. Here are two links from RPI...
    http://www.v8engines.com/faq-carb.htm
    http://www.v8engines.com/carbs-1.htm#bestoption
    '62 109 - coil sprung
    '64 88 - coil sprung

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by siiirhd88 View Post

I use the stock SIII trans behind the 3.9 V8 in my 88. It has been trouble free, but the torque of the V8 can cause issues.....

I am interested in your wiring information for the 3.9 fuel injection / ECU, in case I ever want to run the EFI.

Bob
    Yup, just rebuilt an SIII trans that suffered form V8itis. Broke the primary pinion.

If you decide to do EFI just give me a yelp. It's pretty easy in that the ECU just needs wiring to one plug, which is readily apparent when the EFI harness is removed. Any Rover EFI wiring schematic will give you all info as they all use the same colors for the same things.
    Matt Browne

This is an Edelbrock 1403 on a 4.6 D110. JB snuck it in under the EFI plenum(clever that eh?). Truck has since been sold and converted back to EFI and all these parts (manifold, carb, plenum) are all available including a complete RPI "carb conversion kit" which is all the linkage, kickdown cable for autobox, thermostat housing etc.

PM me if anybody is looking for this stuff.

Disclamer to admin....not really trying to peddle junk on this site.....just trying to relocate parts from my shelves to a good home. Not like RN sells these bits anyhow
    Matt Browne