Thread: 96 Discovery turns over but won't fire?

Default 96 Discovery turns over but won't fire?

I bought this from a dealer that was a as is trade-in. I brought it home and found the the ECU had a rusted hole in the casing. I bought a new one and had the dealer program it, when they tried to start it the starter had been damaged from excess cranking from the dealer or past owner tring to start it. They wanted over $350.00 to install a new one so I brought it home and purchased on from the local parts store.

I have installed the new one and it works. Now it will crank over but it has no spark and the radio has the word "code" on it. I've tried the 1515 code I saw posted on this site and programmed the new remote handset/lock.

Any suggestions on what to do next?

Default no fire?

do it the old fashioned way. pull number 1 spark plug wire off and hold in hand. have someone turn over engine. if you feel a little jolt you are getting fire! if not replace rotor button and cap. another way is to remove coill wire off dist cap and hold close to metal on engine with pliers and see if you have spark if not your coil is bad. do you know if you have fuel? grab a golf tee or small stick and push in sharader valve on fule rail. you should see gas shoot out. also remove rear cargo carpet and take cover off that covers the fuel pump. have some one turn over engine. you should hear fuel pump running. look at foot well on passsenger side. there is a black plug with a silver relay plugged in top. change this!! this is your fuel pump relay.your amplifier module on your distributer may be bad, the manula tells you how to test. i have never done before. hope this helps.

Sounds like a bad crank shaft position sensor, if your not getting timing, or the excitor ring. Also check to see if you have fuel pressure on the rail, if you have spark.