Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what other dzl will fit?

Default what other dzl will fit?

my 68 marshall ambulance is almost here. and eventhough i'll probably just run with the 2.25 petrol that's in it for a while, it will get torn down to the frame as money and time permit so i adventually want to go diesel. besides the 200td are there any others that will fit w/o a whole lot of mods? a benz, volvo, audi or cummings even?
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

thus far i've seen the benz and a small cummings, both nice jobs but the benz seems beyond my capabilities. i'm more blacksmith than machinist. i guess what i need to do is build a matrix to compare the cost to bhp gain of a few of these power plants
    '76 Spitfire 1500

I believe MercedesRover will sell you the bellhousing adapter, and may be able to provide other assistance with the conversion.

Any conversion (diesel or otherwise) will be involved. The 200td will likely be among the most straightforward, though.

Scott,
    I've done the Mercedes 240D swap courtesy of Jim Young/Series trek (photo attached I hope), and am in the middle of a 200TDi swap into a 109, and honestly you will be in for about the same amount of fab work for both conversions. Most of the fab on the Merc was motor mounts, not bad.......the TDi is one motor mount but then extensive reworking of the radiator mount/breakfast (whatever you want to call it). Jim Young is a HUGE help if you go the Merc route.
    Good luck!

the benz would be nice since i hear they run biodzl, dzl or veg oil with nearly no mods, i heard the 2.5d does too but heck i want a bit more horse not less. what fuel options are there with the 200tdi?
    '76 Spitfire 1500

Go Cummins! Or i know where there is a scrapyard full of Bedfords with honking huge Perkins 6 cylinders in em!

Quote Originally Posted by RoverDover View Post
    Go Cummins! Or i know where there is a scrapyard full of Bedfords with honking huge Perkins 6 cylinders in em!
    local rove mech tells me those c4bt's are about 3 feet tall. seems you'd need loose the bonnet spare and fit it with a fake scoop. or at least clock it a bit
    '76 Spitfire 1500

1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums