Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Isuzu diesel into rangie

Default The delivery truck engine is massive - a little more info...

Before deciding on the 4JB1-T 2.8 liter turbo diesel, looked into the delivery truck engines and even helped a friend in NC remove one. Those engines are huge diesel clunkers that weigh about 800 lbs.

The 2.8 TD is so smooth, it's hard to tell it's a diesel. The timing belt is replaced in less than an hour. We installed a Ford Tarus SHO alternator that puts out 200 amps and got rid of the little alternator with vac pump that puts out only about 80 amps or less.

I drive a manual 300 TDI 110 daily and the Isuzu 2.8 auto seems to have a lot more pickup and more top end in the RR. The Isuzu 2.8 TD in the 110 was much much faster, but didn't quite match the 300 TDI at highway speeds being about 5 to 10 mph slower at max possible speed with the petal all the way down on both vehicles.

Robert Davis in VA

Looks good. I never hooked up the kickdown cable, just shift when i feel the need and it's pretty smooth. maybe at some point I'll have all those things done. Out of curiousity, what radiator did you use or is it a custom jobby with an intercooler?
    '94 RRC County TDi (2.8 Isuzu 4JB1-T)

Default ZF Kickdown & Radiator

Knowing the effect or the kickdown and the workings of the ZF, if the shift points are not correct in certain gears, you can grossly overheat the ATF internally and suffer a failure. I tried the conversion with the stock governor and didn't like it. The governor suited for the diesel worked much better as well as a correct spec torque converter. No offence, but I think you don't know what you are missing by not having this set up properly. With the shifting correct our RR Classic and 110 are both so smooth and quiet, the result is outstanding. Do you ever floor it and suffer an annoying high rev down shift?

We used a 200 TDI Radiator and 300 TDI intercooler modified to fit the Isuzu 2.8 TD. We still need to get some fancy looking intercooler plumbing instead of the current rig up... aluminum pipe with silicone connectors. For now all is functional.

rdavisinva

Quote Originally Posted by dieselrangerover View Post
    Looks good. I never hooked up the kickdown cable, just shift when i feel the need and it's pretty smooth. maybe at some point I'll have all those things done. Out of curiousity, what radiator did you use or is it a custom jobby with an intercooler?