Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maiden voyage Texas to the Grand Canyon

Default Maiden voyage Texas to the Grand Canyon

After 3 years of rebuilding a 1960 Series II 109 SW a few of my friends and i decided that a proper road trip to the Grand Canyon would be a great way to make sure everything works. First of all i was hoping for some tips on what to bring in case of problems with the vehicle and maybe a few willing people along the way that might be able to help in case of problems. any advice would be great!

Thanks!

Default First thing to bring....

..is a heaping pile of having fun.

You might join this group: http://www.birmabrightbrotherhood.org/

You might search some threads on tool boxes, tool rolls, etc:

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/sh...highlight=tool

Oh...and bring a credit card, go slow, listen for noises, inspect, inspect, inspect.

Jeff
    64 SIIa 109 all stock
    69 SIIa 88 all stock
    Old tractors
    New Harleys
    Old trucks

What a great trip!

In addition to a heaping pile of fun, include an equal size pile of patience and enjoy the journey.

What came to mind first is fluids and filters, maybe a fuel pump kit and a carb kit.

Terriann has done some extensive traveling with her Rover and has a great site covering this and many other issues, http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/

What is your route-be sure to post up pictures and trip reports for those of us stuck at work!
    64 IIa 88
    94 Discovery
    06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt
    --------------------------------------------
    "Not all who wander are lost"~Tolkein

Nice looking truck. How about some more pics? Where did you get those wide sill rock sliders from? Do a search, I believe this was covered not too long ago on this board and Teri-Anne's sight is also an excellent reference.
    1965 109 2door hardtop (restored years ago)
    1971 88 (restored and as new)
    1967 88 (the next project)

My longest trip was from New Jersey to Denver in a Series 1. My four essentials would be the following, in no particular order:

1) cell phone
    2) iPod with earbuds, plus some way to keep both it and #1 charged
    3) beer
    4) wallet full of cash and credit cards

That's assuming you're sticking to relatively well traveled routes, and your maintenance is up to date. Otherwise, you might think about taking some tools, fluids, duct tape, some electrical wire, extra bolts, etc.

Sounds like a whole bunch of fun though!

I'd also liketo hear/see more about your resto. Do you have the 2.25 or did you swap something else in?
    64 IIa 88
    94 Discovery
    06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt
    --------------------------------------------
    "Not all who wander are lost"~Tolkein

nice job, it looks quite smart...nice sliders, where did you get them?

Default AZ

FYI if you are going the I-10 route to AZ then on I-17 north, from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon, the hill on I-17 between Phoenix and Flagstaff is steep and long. It will really test the meddle of your 109. If you wanted to avoid it get on I-40 and take that west to AZ to avoid that ridiculously steep hill on 17.

If you're running a dizzy with points taking along a spare set of points and a condenser wouldn't be a bad idea.

Cheers and Happy Travels!
    Walker
    1968 Series IIA-"Ronnie"
    88" SW, 2.25L Petrol, LHD

Sorry for the slow replay i was working on the truck for 15 hours straight getting things done and will be back up there bright and early!

We plan to take the I 40 route on the way there any possible the I-17 route on the way home. I have compiled a small amount of parts to bring along as well as fluids, filters and tools and the stuff i took off to put the rover drive in last night(just in case problems occur) so far the truck has about 500 miles since most things have been completed...

One of the reasons i purchased this beast is because i always liked them when i was younger and saw Series Land Rovers in documentaries taking photographers and archaeologists way out to places i would love to go... so after i was on he hunt for one at age 18 i found this beautiful truck sitting waiting someone to take it in. It was sitting due to the rear diff was blown out the back so after 3.5 years of work it is now (maybe ready for this trip)

The list of things we have done to the truck so far:

Powder coated Frame &axles
    Parabolic
    Series III motor
    IIA Trans
    Rochester Carburetor
    Pertronix ignition
    Series III and II heaters in series
    roof rack (built by us)
    sliders (built by us)
    high back seats
    tuffy box
    door panels

here are some pictures as requested:

Series III heater modification

Thanks for the Advice!

Very cool, beautiful truck. Grand Canyon is awesome though not many off road opportunities (if that's what you're hoping for).

Leave plenty of time to hike once you get there, the best stuff can't be seen from the rim. Have a great trip.
    1982 SIII 109 RHD petrol project.