Thread: My 96 Disco doesnt stop overheating

Default My 96 Disco doesnt stop overheating

My 1996 Discovery won't stop overheating. The radiator is new, the water pump is new, the thermostat was removed and the head gaskets were replaced, but the car continues to overheat. Is there a sensor(s) or something I can repalce or test that could be causing the car to overheat?

Does it actually overheat or does the guage just go up? If so it could be a faulty sensor.

Also, the water pumps sometimes suffer from cavitation wear at the back and need replaced. Though it's not the pump that wears, it's the front cover. If there is wear then it might be repairable with liquid metal.

Yes; it overheats, so the sensor is working. Is there a sensor that controls the electric fan? Maybe that could be faulty. The water pump is new.

Check your condenser fans.

Also make sure you don't have air in the cooling system.

Air could be a problem, when I worked at a LR dealer we were "required" to use an air lift system to put coolant in. (put a vacuum on the system and then sucked the coolant mix in) Another thought I had is you said you replaced the water pump, there are two pumps available, one for a "v" belt system, and the other for a serpentine belt system, the only difference between them is the fins on the impeller are opposite since the serpentine system turns backwards compared to the v belt models (don't ask how I know)

I had the same problem with my 95 Range Rover some years ago. Replaced the radiator, viscious fan/drive, thermostat etc, and it ended up just being the sensor. Have you tested the motor temperature directly? I mean, not relying on the sensor or guage? Mine was showing it was overheating when in reality it was not. I swear, I could hear my Range Rover chuckling after all that...
    Retired O-4 CJSOTF-S Afghanistan
    Rh Regmt 1978-79
    1999 Disco I
    1972 Series IIa 88

recently experienced heating issue with my 96 disco, filled and vented cooling system --- burped it

What they said....oh, and put the thermostat back.
    Don't worry, you're biodegradable.