Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strong petrol smell

Default Strong petrol smell

I can smell gas(petrol) while driving my IIa and especially after I've parked it. I know that some scent is normal but this is pretty strong. I have not been able to locate a leak anywhere and all appears OK. I recently had my tank steamed and sealed and replaced the e-pump and fuel filter and I figured I didn't clamp something tight enough but I can't find an obvious source, what else should I check?
    64 IIa 88
    94 Discovery
    06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt
    --------------------------------------------
    "Not all who wander are lost"~Tolkein

is it dieseling at all when you cut it off? Mine reeks of gas when the timing is off, its like there is a lot of unspent fuel in the carb or something. Just a thought...

Yes it does a bit-especially when I've been driving it a while. What carb do you have? I've got the weber which also needs the chock even when it's warm out-that could be the timing too..
    64 IIa 88
    94 Discovery
    06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Wander View Post
    Yes it does a bit-especially when I've been driving it a while. What carb do you have? I've got the weber which also needs the chock even when it's warm out-that could be the timing too..
    Weber and have the exact same issue with the choke, gas smell, and timing.
    I also had an issue ad idle that proved to be the idle fuel shut off solenoid, that issue appears to have resurrected...

You might check your timing and that your dizzy is nice and snug, mine loosened itself up which is how my timing got out of whack in the first place.

I will, thanks.

Do you have a fuel filter with a return? I've heard that works well with the Weber's and solve the vapor lock problem. I've not had the VL issue (yet) and I'm wondering if the Weber is the best carb for the 2.25 or should I look for something else.
    64 IIa 88
    94 Discovery
    06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt

I'm wondering if the Weber is the best carb for the 2.25 or should I look for something else.
    Oh goodness, you have opened a can of worms now. People argue which is better, which one they can never set right, etc...
    I'm happy with my Weber..some people hate thiers.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB

Quote Originally Posted by crankin View Post
    Oh goodness, you have opened a can of worms now. People argue which is better, which one they can never set right, etc...
    I'm happy with my Weber..some people hate thiers.
    Ha, I had a feeling...the problems of being new to series rovers, you don't know the hot button issues yet.
    I think the unspent fuel comment might be on track-the fuel scent is of raw gas. Are you running a filter with a return? I'm wondering if the Weber needs one to allow the unspent fuel to return the the tank which would also take care of the smell-well at that smell.

I also think my timing is off so I'll start there.
    64 IIa 88
    94 Discovery
    06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt

..... and I'm wondering if the Weber is the best carb for the 2.25 or should I look for something else.
    This thread has some feedback on this question. Didn't seem to be a clear-cut winner from the opinions on this board.

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9170
    1964 Series 2A SW, LHD mostly stock, often runs!

1991 Range Rover Hunter

Thanks for the link-I'm now thinking that a re-jetted Rochester might be a better choice than the Weber however no one mentioned the unspent fuel issue-or a strong petrol smell in relation to the Weber.
    64 IIa 88
    94 Discovery
    06 Toyota 4R (DD)

~Matt

More than likely its your timing.

Birmabright Brotherhood

Take the vow, join the brotherhood!

Clint Rankin - 1972 SIII SWB