Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HELP I CANT TAKE ANYMORE

Talking HELP I CANT TAKE ANYMORE

Can anyone help me with the removal of thirty years of military paint .
    I am using Napa paint remover and I spend every waking minute as high as a kite

try "peel away" it's great for removing multiple layers of paint. home depot should have it. just follow the directions on the bucket, should be easy on a LR. low odor so you can even use it indoors. great stuff IMO.
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

Thanks. at this stage i'll try anything

I like aircraft remover, FWIW....
    -L

'72 SIII SW 88"
    '60 SII 88" RHD

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie
    But make sure you are in a well ventilated area and don't get it on your skin.

Very strong stuff!

The aircraft paint stripper worked great for me as well. I was only stripping one layer, but it should work well on multiple layers. Not to preach, but you should ALWAYS be wearing a respirator and proper protection.

The other thing that worked well when I stripped off all of the camo paint off my Rover - 5-6 layers was Jasco paint and epoxy remover. Also make sure you wear eye protection as a little flake in your eye would ruin your day

nono Don't inhale!

Just an FYI:

I ended up in the emergency room due to accidentally not having adequate ventilation while using aircraft stripper...it turns into CO in your blood about 24 hrs. after exposure...not a fond Rover memory! But, the stuff works wonders on the paint.

Safety first!

Mike Koch
    Mike Koch

1993 Range Rover SWB
    "Backup car? Why would I need a backup car? My car backs up just fine."

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie
    yes, very useful if you have a UFO lodged somewhere.

butt (teehee) seriously, peelaway works great because it stays on for 2-3 days and is covered by a membrane to prevent evaporation, and thus has time to really work through all the layers. when yer done it comes off with a putty knife and takes all the paint with it. power wash the remainder and then neutralize (with vinegar IIRC) as the stuff is pretty alkaline. lye based I bleieve instead of methyl deathyl whatever and no odor. I used it to strip 6 or 7 layers of paint off my fireplace's bricks, and otherwise impossible or very unpleasant job in an occupied house.

happy huffing
    daveB in DC
    A Land Rover would never turn up to collect an Oscar. It'd be far too busy doing something important, somewhere, for someone."

It will not be cheap, but if you calculate the stress/grief/time/sweat/brain damage/etc of continuing with your current approach, you may find it easier to take the vehicle to an aircraft paint shop (if you are near an airport so-equipped) and let them spray their magic goo on your Rover. They can strip paint off aluminum like nobody's business, and you don't have to deal with disposing of the toxic runoff either.