Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP I CANT TAKE ANYMORE

Thumbs up

Thanks for the interest and the tips. I am working my way through them and will let y'all know how it works out.. Stay tuned

nono

Well I can finally see light at the end of the paint scraper and its all down to elbow grease and your common or garden Wal Mart paint stripper. I have tried every solution known to man and then some. Price does not matter, $75 a gallon with all kinds of promises or $15 a gallon the results are the same, it's just really hard tedious work and I would not recomend it to anyone,and I for sure will not be doing it again

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time of it. I've heard good results with the chemical scrapers but yet to try it myself. Only read the warnings.

Can you tell us exactly what you used and what the results were with each? Also, is it an MOD truck of civilian? The difference would be the number of coats you'd be dealing with.
    Last edited by Tim Smith; 05-05-2007 at 12:23 AM.

Default Ooops

My bad. Just re-read the original post and it's MOD.

So I'm guessing there is about 5-20 coats of paint. So let us know the rest of the story.

I tried paint remover, but finally gave in and just used a wire wheel on an angle grinder. It makes a mess, but it works way faster and easier than any paint stripper. Just make sure you get a good quality wire wheel, and be careful you don't start eating away your aluminum.

Default For What it's Worth

I tried an abrasive wheel designed for the job but the problem is that once it gets a grip on anything it just keeps chewing and in no time flat you are looking at a hole where there used to be aluminium. I tried a product from a company called Molecular Tech which costs $75 a gallon and claims to lift multiple coats of anything;;;;;;;;;;; Na ah another online product from Strip Ease same price made the same claims;;;;;;;;Na ah. I finished up using the Wal Mart common paint remover, a lot cheaper and really no harder.
    As to a layer count I have no idea but i believe that the vehicle was never washed during it's military service, when it got dirty they just painted it again!!!!. My advice to anyone thinking about undertaking this kind of thing is if you must then; you should check paint depth(look for chips or flakes this gives a good indication of the depth), warm weather is a must(strippers dont work in cold weather, even the Human kind). Be prepared for a lot of tedious work.
    There are various types of paint used some are a lot tougher than others and I assume are supposed to be chemical resistant and for the most part they are, a few more coats of that stuff and it could be considered Armoured.......
    Thanks y'all for the interest and if I can be of any help just give me a holler.
    Last edited by Joecarville; 05-06-2007 at 12:57 PM.