Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Zenith Diagnosis

About to head home and take a stab at it. Anyone got any advice? Should the compensating holes be open to the world like that? If not (as I suspect) what blocks them in?

Can I somehow confirm that the ball valve on top of the pump and the pump and pump jet are working properly?

Any methods for testing the carb off the car? Fill the bowl and try the throttle, I suppose.

Gonna bump myself again, see if I can get any advice on these last few pictured elements.

Need to decide whether it can be fixed, re-rebuilt again or if I need to start looking for another carb.

Default Zenith rebuild questions

No expert here I but have my Zenith apart at the moment and in the cleaning tank. Re. what you label as #15, the pump jet (this is #33, the jet itself and its lock screw shown in the Big Book on page 19.15.17 sheet 4, top figure). Yes it is slotted (take a look at the replacement in your kit) but the slot is really hard to see when it is fully inserted. I had to fashion a special slotted screwdriver of the correct diameter (ground down the shaft of a small screwdriver to get the correct diameter, and ground the tip to exactly fit the slot of the pump jet) in order to get it into the hole to loosen the jet. However, the upper threads on mine are nearly stripped so I'll have to clean them up before I'll be able to fully remove it. So yes, the pump jet can come out but it is the only one that gave me (and continues to give me) a problem. Use a flashlight to figure out the orientation of the slot and make sure the screwdriver you use does not have a broad shoulder above the tip that could strip out the upper threads (I think this is what happened to mine). This jet also looks clear on mine so I may just let it go since it is seated tightly.

Re. the ball at the base of the accelerator pump: mine also rattles. Look down this hole and make sure the circlip is centered on the ball -- mine was off center and I was surprised to find the ball still there.

Your accelerator pump looks fine to me.

Re. your most recent pic, that is the hole for the anti-diesel solenoid. The forum host lists this at $211. Ouch!
    http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2...iths-only.aspx

In surfing the web I found a nice write up on the Zenith IV in the Northern California Rover Club newsletter June/July 1997 issue 2. Big thanks to Jeremy Bartlett for the write up. You can get to it here
    http://www.carolinarovers.info/index...mid=101&gid=40

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Pavement,
    PERFECT, exactly the advice on that pump jet I needed. It just LOOKED like the slots were gone. Customized a screwdriver, and it came right out! Thanks a ton!

I also found a hole (related to the mechanism mentioned below) that was blocked by the main gasket I had, so I cut one.

Oh, and it appeared that my slow running jet (or was it the pump discharge valve?) - anyway, the one with the spring ball inside - was a bit clogged. Guitar string cleaned it right out.

As far as the open hole I was talking about, (#24 on this illustration: http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=3121- I've attached two pics from that same Zenith Bulletin with them circled.) It is obviously supposed to be plugged with one of those (lead?) plugs that is on some of the other holes. Mine is not plugged at all. Not sure how I'd replicate that, but I'm sure there's a way.

I've had one other issue with getting the throttle lever (with the ball on the end) to lock onto the shaft for the lower butterfly. Even though I have all the parts installed (eg: the star washer), it just doesn't want to stay tightened down under use, but I'm sure I'll be able to figure that one out. Not inherent to the carb itself operating.

printjunky,
    RE the plugs, they are available, but I never bothered unless I was going for a show type restoration. What I use are fishing sinkers, get one a little bigger than the hole you're trying to plug and then smash them in there. The lead (or whatever it is) is quite soft and it works well. HTH
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

Great idea. The hole is threaded (or some semblance thereof), so I was mulling twisting in some kind of fuel-safe rubber plug, or even a pipe-doped theaded brass plug if I could find something, but that sounds ideal.