Thread: 2004 Discovery Lug Nuts

Default 2004 Discovery Lug Nuts

I have just purchased a set of 20 lug nuts for my 2004 Discovery. After rotating the tires they already rounded off. Is there a way to replace them with solid steel ones? Are there special sockets/wrenches to use on them; if so what are the sizes?

The Genuine lug nuts are two parts: the lug nut and the cover, both made of aluminum. If they are already rounded off, someone either used the wrong size wrench (it has happened to me), or applied WAY too much torque in the process which stripped them.
    You cannot replace them with solid steel ones as the steel ones will rust and attach themselves to the bolt. The aluminum lug nuts also expand with heat and will not seize under extreme temps as the steel ones will.
    I am not familiar with the size of the wrench, but you should have the tools in the rear of the vehicle to determine that. You should also have the lug nuts torqued down properly with a torque wrench.
    My lug nuts are all 11 years old and original from the date of manufacture, except for one that the mechanic did not have the appropriate size wrench due to thermal expansion and so he decided to use a smaller size and hammer to remove it. That is the only new one I have, and it is also Genuine Land Rover.
    Other than that, I am at a loss why 20 new lug nuts would be destroyed. It makes no sense to me.

Default 2004 Discovery Lug Nuts

Thank you for your input. Yes indeed too much pressure was used. How can I resolve this problem?

Interestingly enough, yesterday I went to have my tires rotated at the same place I have been doing business with for over five years. After rotating them and using an air gun to remove/install the lug nuts, they use a torque wrench to confirm the right amount of force.
    However, I let the Disco sit overnight and then use the wrench in the back to make sure they are all still tight (the lug nuts contract after they cool, being aluminum and all).
    This morning, I was greeted by several lug nuts that were almost out of shape, but that I could still get the wrench on with some effort. This has to do with using too much force, so it looks like I am in the same place as you.
    The easiest way to avoid this problem is either to do this yourself with a torque wrench (if not from Rovers North, which I don't think they have, try Griots Garage or Sears), or watch over the person like a hawk and make sure he doesn't try to destroy the lug nuts. I did the latter anyway and still have to deal with it.
    Perhaps it is finally time for me to get a new tire installer. Loyalty is loyalty, but there really is no excuse for having lug nuts take such high pressure that can deform them.

Yep, never let them snug the lug nuts up with an airgun.

They WILL mess them up.

The lb/ft is 90 or so, IIRC.

Some say use a 1 1/16" socket, others 27mm.

If the tire place screwed them up, insist that they replace them. If they were already messed up, then just eat it and go away with the experience.
    Stu

'01 D2

Default 2 sizes of lug nuts

I have had a few problems with lug nuts too. Some of them had been rounded over from the tire guy. Luckily one tire guy had told me, and then proceeded to do it, was remove the outer shell of the nut. I now carry a cross type tire iron that has both nut sizes on it. I believe they are 25 and 27mm. The tire iron was purchased at Wal-Mart (only place I could find both sizes on the same tire iron) and folds which is kind of nice. I also carry a bar breaker with one of each socket. Having two DIIs I am going LUG NUTS! Good luck I hope this helps

Definitely dont allow your tire place to use the impact gun on the lug nuts. I learned this the hardway too. The tire shops hate using a socket and manual ratchet, but I always give them the option (when they get mouthy) of either taking the lug nuts off and replacing them manually or replacing them at $20 each. : )

Quote Originally Posted by dcwhybrew View Post
    Definitely dont allow your tire place to use the impact gun on the lug nuts. I learned this the hardway too. The tire shops hate using a socket and manual ratchet, but I always give them the option (when they get mouthy) of either taking the lug nuts off and replacing them manually or replacing them at $20 each. : )
    Bravo. As it should be.
    Stu

'01 D2