Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring Over Axle

Default Spring Over Axle

I am plannign on building a spring over axel 88" on 88range rover axels. I will use a 2.25L with a cam, malory electronic ignition, and a weber 2 barrel, late IIA tranny with an early T-case to get the lower low range to compensate for the 3.54 diffs. I will use heavy duty 88 parabolics, and some lone travel shock setup. I am also planning to use revolver shackles front and rear. I am aware this will create the need for hi angle driveshafts. Has anyone done this, or heard about important parts of the project. I am doing it to get approx. 5" of lift. I will be running stock three spoke alloys, the wider track should make the lift move stable.

Sorry wrong section, Im new here.

twisties~South Lake Tahoe tarmac rallye style

Not a problem, I've moved your thread into the proper forum.

Quote Originally Posted by CliftonRover
    Sorry wrong section, Im new here.
    Cheers, Thompson
    Art & Creative Director, Rovers Magazine
    Rovers North, Inc.

Default 15" X 10" Spoker Rims for Axle Over Project

Dear CliftonRover - Over 20yrs ago I bought a set of 15"X10" white spoker rims for my '69 type 88 Series IIa. I had hopes on running on the beach of Long Island. I got a set of Goodyear Tracker AT tires which I thought would be great on sand and snow, but never got to try them out on the sand. I bought them from Ed Zagata in New Jersey when he went out of business. Ed claimed theses were the last spoker wheels imported to the USA. These 10" wide tires might be usefull in giving you the wider track that you want for your axle over project. I changed to 16" rims, but still have the spokers. If you have any interest please reply. Good luck with your project, mine continues after 33yrs!

If' he's not interested, I am. Do you know what the back spacing is on them?

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd T Marshall
    Dear CliftonRover - Over 20yrs ago I bought a set of 15"X10" white spoker rims for my '69 type 88 Series IIa. I had hopes on running on the beach of Long Island. I got a set of Goodyear Tracker AT tires which I thought would be great on sand and snow, but never got to try them out on the sand. I bought them from Ed Zagata in New Jersey when he went out of business. Ed claimed theses were the last spoker wheels imported to the USA. These 10" wide tires might be usefull in giving you the wider track that you want for your axle over project. I changed to 16" rims, but still have the spokers. If you have any interest please reply. Good luck with your project, mine continues after 33yrs!

Quote Originally Posted by CliftonRover
    I am plannign on building a spring over axel 88" on 88range rover axels. I will use a 2.25L with a cam, malory electronic ignition, and a weber 2 barrel, late IIA tranny with an early T-case to get the lower low range to compensate for the 3.54 diffs. I will use heavy duty 88 parabolics, and some lone travel shock setup. I am also planning to use revolver shackles front and rear. I am aware this will create the need for hi angle driveshafts. Has anyone done this, or heard about important parts of the project. I am doing it to get approx. 5" of lift. I will be running stock three spoke alloys, the wider track should make the lift move stable.
    There are many ways to answer your questions, many are likely to be wrong or irrelevant without first learning more about your project. So ... A few questions first:

1. What do you plan to do with the vehicle? What specifically do you want to achieve that a stock Series rig can not do? What is the purpose of the 5" lift?

2. Have you actually ran the resulting gear ratio numbers?

3. Are you aware that LR has discontinued the special parts for the early transfer cases? Do you have parts sources in case something breaks??

4. Are you planning to use a 32/36 DGV or a 32/34 DMTL Weber?

5. What are your trying to achieve with "heavy duty" parabolics that would not be achieved from matching springs to your vehicle weight?

6. Do you know what the before and after tyre track will be and how your proposed changes will affect the dynamic roll centre?

Answers to these questions will help us form a more accurate reply to you.

Default Weber carb

After running a progressive Weber and it's lag when the secondary opened I switched to a 38 DGAS sychronous carb....it is great, smooth power, ran on it' side....

Default Springover

Having owned and built some spring over series trucks. I will tell you you are headed down the wrong path to achieve the benefits of a modified leafsprung suspension.. Do some searching on springovers for other marques. Long supple springs with no arch is the way to go. I would ditch the revolvers as well.

Hey Leafsprung,
    Would you mind sharing some of your experience with us? I have recently decided to change from using my rover as a daily driver to dedicating it to off road use and the on road travel to get to the trails. I am thinking about doing a spring over, but I would really like to hear from someone who has done it to avoid duplicating someone else's mistakes.

Keeping the 3.54 centers is going to kill your ability off road, Your series diffs bolt right up to coiler axles.