Thread: how do you test the fuel gauge??

Default how do you test the fuel gauge??

this is for my 1961 109 . it has the generator still, and has a negative ground system.when the switch is turned on, the gauge always goes to full. i pulled the wire off the sending unit and it still goes to full (pegged) no matter how full the tank is.i even switched the two wires on the back of the gauge and it still goes to full. this is the only electrical problem on the whole truck and i'd like to have it repaired , thanks!

thanks to a phone call to arthur at rovers north, he helped me troubleshoot it. i found the the sending wire was open, it was cut back near the rear part of the wiring harness, it now works .as far i remember when my dad owned it since the mid 1980's it never worked!thank you again arthur for your time and help with my questions i have from time to time.

your the man AtRHur

Thanks for letting us know what they said. Now I know where to start looking on my own truck!

he told me to run a new "jumper wire" from the sending unit at the tank, to the back post on the gauge, and turn the switch on, if it moves and starts working once again, a wire is grounded or open somewhere on the frame rail. then just run a new lead to the tank and your done!

Running out to my truck to try the same driving around without a working fuel gauge has become a bit of a headache.
    1967 MGB convertible
    1966 SIIa 88 Softop Perkins Prima Powered
    1964 SIIa 109 Rosenbauer TLF
    1976 1ton Rapier missle Sankey trailer
    1996 BMW 1100 GS

wanted ! 107 wagon / 110 wagon v8 or 300tdi