Thread: Anyone good with rover A/C????

Question Anyone good with rover A/C????

having issues with my 95 disco A/C....
    1. air output is pretty weak, never had a ton of blowing force since I've had it, but I'm noticing how weak it is compared to everything else I drive more and more. pulled the fan/motor, checked voltage, cleaned fan, did notice random chunks of black rubber/foam crud that looks like it would have at some point sealed, insulated, covered a large area of something.... had lots of it stuck to the air recirc input behind the glove box..... didn't make much difference..... anyone notice if there disco 1 blows good and hard? not sure what my expectation should be. also, anyone tried resealing the foam connections between vents, flaps, etc? noticed there is a lot of air moving around back in the dash that should probably be coming out my vents.

2. not so cold. compressor kicks out awful frequently, was really bad because the low side pressure was way to low, recharged and its better but compressor clutch kicks out and in an awful lot for being on max and not getting very cold..... noticed the low pressure lines don't feel very cold either? so I'm thinkin maybe the receiver/drier is clogged, or just old and needing replaced from years of use, slow leaking, low refrigerant, whatever. new drier is cheap but....

Has anyone had any experience using the cheaper electric vacuum pumps and doing their own a/c work? not sure I trust a cheap pump to get all the air and moisture out of the system if I tackle this myself??? but haven't found a reasonable, trustworthy shop to do it so I'd like to make it a diy. any insight???

I have a 95 Discovery with 220,000 miles on the original engine. The air conditioner has been excellent ever since I first bought the vehicle brand new, and is still working beautifully. It cools the whole car down really well, and in southern California with the sun blazing in the way it does, that is saying a lot. Yesterday it was about 104 here, and as always, I had to put the A/C down to fan speed #2, because #4 was too much. Even at idle, it blows really cold.

However: I also have a 97 Mazda 626, whose blower moves about twice as air as the Discovery's does.
    Anyway, having said that, I would say you are having problems. It's been awhile since your post so I don't know if your issue has been resolved yet, but...it is an issue.
    I would add that if you use a "cheap" vacuum pump, to leave it on there for at least 30 minutes before charging the system. Also, of course, be sure you're charging with the correct amount of refrigerant.
    If the compressor still seems to kick out fequently I'd look to the A/C thermostat.
    Hope this helped.