Thread: Shocks/Dampers for Coil Sprung P38

Default Shocks/Dampers for Coil Sprung P38

Hello All,

I completed a spring conversion on a '99 P38 nearly a year ago. Too many air problems. I did not have money at the time for dampers. Now that I am in the market... All I see are dampers for the air suspension system; makes sense.

What dampers are available for the coil sprung '99 Rover? I'm sure I can get away with dampers for the air suspension. My concern is having the right matched system.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    1990 RRC, 3.9L, AUTO "Willow Pond" (Sold)
    1996 D1, 4.0L, AUTO "Lucas"
    1999 RR, 4.0L, AUTO "Belle" (Sold)

I installed some OME from Rovers North. The best thing that I done to the old girl. What springs did you install. I replaced mine with strut masters heavy duty with 2" spacers. I think that its a very nice ride

Hello Mudtub,

I typically purchase most of the parts for the P38 from Rovers North (RN)... However, I needed to move quick on this project and RN did not have the springs in stock. I opted for a competitor that had everything in stock and shipped same day. I had it on my doorstep the next afternoon at no extra cost.

This vehicle will not see off-road as it is the wifes daily driver. I installed Atlantic British's Standard Air Suspension to Coil Spring Conversion Kit with EAS Override Harness. Completed the job in under 2 hours. Drives more like a truck now that the air has been removed, but the peace of mind it affords is worth it.

According to Land Rover Main Line... The valve block needed to be replaced, the compressor needed to be rebuilt, both front bags were dry rotted and needed to be replaced, and all air lines needed to be replaced. Dealer of course wanted ~$6,500.00 to upgrade/replace. However they did give me the option to complete a coil conversion for half. No Thanks. I completed my install for < $700.00, and as previously written... in under 2 hours.

Now for the dampers...

Default coil spring conversion

I converted to coils a few years ago and the ride has suffered for it. I bottom out often and I am generally disappointed on any terrain that isn't well paved. I also have the standard coil conversion kit from Atlantic British. Could it be that the springs are not properly matched to the weight of the truck? Would spacers help?

Quote Originally Posted by jkempkens View Post
    I converted to coils a few years ago and the ride has suffered for it. I bottom out often and I am generally disappointed on any terrain that isn't well paved. I also have the standard coil conversion kit from Atlantic British. Could it be that the springs are not properly matched to the weight of the truck? Would spacers help?
    HMMM.... I don't have that problem. Are you sure that you are bottoming out? Are the bump stops worn? Spacers will raise the vehicle depending on the height you purchase given you more axle travel. However, you may end up with driveline vibrations if you raise too much without correcting the camber.

I'm generally pleased with my install, then again it [P38] rides smoothly as compared to my D1 with extra heavy duty OME springs and dampers. Great off-road, hard on-road.