Thread: 2004 Land Rover Discovery – Heavy Smokes

Default 2004 Land Rover Discovery – Heavy Smokes

2004 Land Rover Discovery – Heavy Smokes

Yesterday, Saturday June 19, 2010, nearly eight (8) days after picking up the truck from the dealership for repairs, I turned it on and the engine began to vibrate and make a strident knocking noise. And suddenly, I noticed a huge quantity of grayish heavy smokes coming out from under the hood with a strange burning odor. At this point, I immediately switched it off. After 2 to3 hours, I went back to the car to visually inspect what might have caused the problem. Except the intense burning odor, I could not see nor detect any physical abnormalities. Of course, the car would not start up. It does not even crank.

Since the Head Gasket repairs, I have been back and forth to the dealership. At this point, what should I do? It seems to me that the car is seriously damaged.

Thank you!

Angry Go get 'em.....

Sorry to hear what happened. My best guess is that the strange burning odor could be either motor oil blowing past the seals or coolant that did the same thing. Since the smoke was coming out from underneath the hood, and not the exhaust, it was not being burned in the combustion cycle. It must have been such a great amount that it could not have been ignited in the cylinder but transformed into a vapor and found a way out.
    Since the engine will not even crank at this point, I am leaning towards the coolant leak, as it sounds like the engine seized completely (oil would have left an indicator-coolant burns off). The strange burning odor may be the coolant as it does have a heavy, non-oil smell to it (sniff a bottle of Dex-Cool and you'll know which one it is right away).
    You must have the DII towed to the dealership that worked on it for the other repairs and explain this is a direct result of the work they performed, as no problems existed before you brought it to them. As I stated before, if they screwed it up, and you paid for the repairs, they are obligated to fix it. That means if they destroyed the engine, you have them get you a new one.
    Keep all the receipts, both credit card and deealership printouts, in a safe place as evidence you will need. Bring copies, not originals, to the dealership when you speak to them.
    If they are unwilling to help, get the owners number and take it up with him. If nothing comes of that, you have no choice but to retain counsel and sue them for destruction of personal property, as well as fraud (they knowingly took your money and had no clue how to put Humpty Dumpty back together again). If they didn't know what to do, they should have told you so from the beginning.
    Here is my own example. Three weeks ago I had my windscreen replaced due to a rock destroying it. I went to my local LR dealer, where, granted, I have known the sales manager and service manager for years. One week ago, during light rain, I had water enter the cabin through both sunvisors, and also via the seat belt posts. It looked like Niagara Falls.
    I went back last Thursday, and explained I never had a problem like this before. When the headliner was dropped, the hose for the driver's side drain in the sunroof was sheared off.
    Two hours of labor later (@ $125 per), the epoxy was holding the hose to the sunroof (either that or replace the sunroof tray for $1,000+). As this could have been a result of the new glass being installed, I was not charged one penny. Zip. Nothing. This is what I am talking about.
    I genuinely feel terrible that I cannot personally help you in this matter, because I would greatly enjoy getting justice for you. But as I have said before, I am not dispensing legal advice, I just know quite a bit about the process and consequences. At this point, I would advise to prepare to retain counsel.
    I hope it all works out, and my best to you.

Ron,

Approximately where are you in the country?

-Gary
    "I can't believe I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no beer!" -Onslow

Default 2004 Land Rover Discovery – Heavy Smokes

Gary,

Thank you very much. I am in Maryland. The name of the dealer is Manhattan Land Rover, in Bethesda, MD.

Ron,

There is an independant LR repair guy near me that is very good. That is why I was wondering where you are.

He does alot of work on DII's, I think for two reasons; 1) because the engine design is not very good, and 2) the trouble that even dealers have, repairing them.

His name is PT Scram, and he is in Chrubusco, IN.

-Gary
    "I can't believe I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no beer!" -Onslow