Thread: CT Inspection Failure & Diagnostic Codes...

Default CT Inspection Failure & Diagnostic Codes...

Hi Guys,

I just went to renew my CT registration for my 2000 P38 and to my surprise, I failed. I tested it at a CT Certified Emissions location which was a Midas Muffler. They told me that they didn't have the scanner for the car. I drove to another certified place that specialized in high-end foreign cars. They said pretty much the same thing. Land Rover is very proprietary. Hey, it's used car, I'm not rich and I need to get it fixed in 7 weeks, for re-inspection.

I know there are a number of certified mechanics on this site, and I was wondering if any of you can tell me what these codes mean, and how that translates (roughly, a ballpark figure) into what it might cost me to put things right. Thanks in advance...

Here are the code read-outs from the test:

Diagnostic Trouble Codes:
    -P1590 Manufacturer Controlled Vehicle Speed, Idle Control, and Auxiliary Inputs
    -P0174 System Too Lean Bank 2
    -P0171 System Too Lean Bank 1
    -P1172 Manufacturer Controlled Fuel and Air Metering
    -P1175 Manufacturer Controlled Fuel and Air Metering
    'Maybe the 'Hokey-Pokey' really is what it's all about.'

Mike Holland at Holland's Garage in Guilford CT is an excellent mechanic and can help you.

The problem, as you may be starting to think, is that Agbar, CT emmissions, and especially shops who do the test, that are not specifically "Repair Shops" are completely incapable of thinking outside the box. They will tell you that the Agbar equipment doesn't allow them to, but a call to the emmissions people at DMV will get you the personalized attention of a DMV tester. They will set up a time for you to meet them at a specific test location, and do the test themselves. They seem to take particular delight in embarassing the test shop employees, and especially when the vehicle passes.
    The problem is based on the fact that all vehicles post '96, that are OBDII compliant, are "tested" simply by reading the vehicles memory. Until the vehicle gets above a certain GVW, they don't actually sample the emmissions from the tail pipe.
    Common sense would dictate that the system be capable of testing any car that was manufactured and certified compliant. If they can't, because THEY don't have the proper equipment, that isn't your fault.
    The bottom line is that unless you are positive your vehicle actually meets CO and HC levels ( and you better be sure it does) dont argue that a vehicle's stored info isn't, as opposed to it's actual emmission, isn't grounds for failure.
    It's always wise to clear all stored codes, or have a shop clear them, before you go for a test in CT (and all the other states that use Agbar).

Several weeks ago another enthusiast listed, and recommended, Mike Holland from Holland's Garage in Guilford, CT for work on classic Land Rovers, including the '99 DII that I own. I had recommended another individual (who I have since deleted from my Forum posting), but I figured why not check him out.
    Well, I went to Mike, and what I discovered was nothing short of astonishing. To change all the genuine LR hoses and refill the coolant, bringing the equipment myself, I was charged for two hours of labor- all of $148.00. You read that right, Mike only charges $74.00/hr.
    To install the Rovers North Pro-Line rear brake pads, Mike only charged me $62.00, not even a hours worth of labor, and in the process cleaned and repaired the caliper screws and calipers. That is a total of $210.00, folks.
    The individual I was originally referred to, a described "Land Rover Expert Mechanic", was charging me for three hours of labor at $105.00 per for the hose change- a whopping $315.00. Add another hour for the brake pads and it ballooned to $420.00.
    Mike is one fantastic mechanic, the best I have ever seen. I am posting this on the Forum for those in the NY/NJ/CT/MA region, as I know not only finding a qualified Land Rover mechanic is difficult, but so are these economic times we are in. His rates are reasonable by any stretch, amazing given his 20 years of experience working on them.
    I also asked him about Waxoyl, and he does that as well. Mike was requesting $700.00 for the service for my DII, and the other mechanic was charging me -get ready for this one- $950.00.
    I thank CliftonRover for the advice he presented on this forum, I am also glad to let all enthusiasts know as well, as we all need to help each other as best we can. Mike's phone number is 203-464-7722, and his website is www.hollandsgarage.com. All my best to my fellow enthusiasts.